Where to get cheap hardware cloth?

Around here it was 12.99 for 36"x10' (lowes and HD 14.99) at my hardware store. I asked themn if they could get me 36"x100'. I paid 95.00 for 36"X100' ask your local hardware store (mom and pop store not fancy chain store).

If you're pricing it in the "by the foot" or "10 or 20' rolls" versions, you are likely to find it considerably cheaper if you price the "buy a whole 50' roll" version (hardware or feed stores can usually order this for you even if they don't routinely stock it).

If you are already pricing it in 50' rolls, well, welcome to the price of hardware cloth.

IMO the wire mesh for the run is usually the largest truly-unavoidable expense of the coop -- it is the hardest thing to scrounge, although if you live in a rural area with junk/farm auctions or happen to get *spectacularly* lucky elsewhere, sometimes you CAN get a good secondhand deal.

One option is to use something larger mesh for the upper parts of the run. You don't lose much security at all (in most cases, and if done right) and it can allow you to build a significantly larger run for the same money as opposed to doing like a 6'-tall run fence and top, fully in hardwarecloth.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Quote:
How did it compare material wise, Gail? We're looking at that online, too, and what we have on hand now is 1/2" (http://www.tractorsupply.com/fencin...hardware-cloth-1-4-in-x-24-in-x-5-ft--3627063 like this but a different size). I know we are looking at a variety of sizes, so this is a great site to have that variety available. Did they really give free shipping? It's hard to tell because they won't estimate it until you get to checking out....

SO excited to find this!
big_smile.png

The product we purchased (1/2") through CSN. was comparable to what we purchased locally (VERY comparable; might have been the same product!). And yes, it did include free shipping.

Shipping was also fairly quick; within a week of us ordering this.

I did notice on their site tonight that they were out of the 36" wide, 100 foot roll until June 4th.

gail

Bought mine at a local Mom & Pop hardware store here in So. Central MO. 1/2" x 1/2" squares, four foot high x 100 feet for $119.00 per roll. They had to special order it, but it was in the store in 3 days. They stocked the 2' and 3', but I wanted 4'!
lol.png

Thanks for the CSN link, that's literally 1/3 the price I paid at Lowe's last weekend. For that price it is worth waiting to finish.

And--what is the best way to cut the stuff?

For cutting I picked up one of these electric shears about four years ago - I've never tried using them on chicken wire, but for hardware cloth it saves on blisters and time. Most people don't know they make them. Be warned if you do pick one up that they chuck metal bits up to 6'!​

The cloth will probably the most expensive thing to do in your project, but it is the only way to go. Just shop it locally. I ended up getting the best price from our little Ace Hardware store in town. They ordered it in, and there is no shipping charges. I just used 1x2 14 ga. on everything. 1 100 ft of 48 inch, and 1 100ft of 60 inch. I realize 1/2 inch is afer on the bottom part, but I have had no problems as of yet.

I got mine from the cns link too. I goofed around with the shopping cart and shipping and it seems that if the order goes to $100 then the shipping is free.
For cutting anything that cuts wire will work but the best is gonna be the tin shears or carpet shears like someone else sayd. But watch out for blisters. I'd keep the wire on the ground to cut and put my foot one one side while holding up the othe edge as I cut.
Most people will say to wear long sleeves and cut the wire close to one side that way you only have long wire "pins" on one edge. But I find that even the short edges will scratch me up and I hate gloves and we've already hit temps over a 100 and humidity is even higher i think so ...... What I did was cut in the middle of the line and with a pair of pliers bent the little pins that were left over the cross wire. This has the added benefit of holding that wire in even if the weld breaks and giving strength to the edge. Yes it took time but once you get the rhythm down it was easy and made the edges safe and virtually scratch proof.

Back
Top Bottom