Where to water/feed... in the coop, the run or both?

itsmechrissy

Songster
8 Years
Mar 27, 2011
SE Wisconsin
So... do you keep your water/feeder in the coop or the run? or both? I'd imagine once it starts snowing it should be in the coop but have it in the run right now. However, it's supposed to storm today so now thinking I should move it to the coop.... These are my first chickens and it's their third day in the coop, can you tell? LOL

My coop is covered too, maybe I'll just move the food farther from the edge of the run and see how it does in today's rain. Here's a picture; it may look familiar as it's the design for the one that was on the cover of "Chicken Coops for Dummies". My husband would say it was designed by dummies, I guess alot of the measurements were off (especially near the end). But it turned out cute and secure for the girls :)

84109_dsc03022.jpg

Go by what makes your life easier .....if there constantly knocking the water and making a big mess inside the coop ...place the water outside ... I also have an auto matic waterer out in there yard . I personally keep the feed inside because its easier for me and keeps it drier . In the winter I use a heated water dog dish for the chickens and leave it just outside there door .... LOve your Coop !

Last edited:
I love your coop.
Here in Alabama the days are already in the high 90's so we put water on the run and a small waterer inside the coop, the feed we put inside to keep dry. I didn't want to waste any expensive feed. My girls (11 weeks old and my first flock) run in for a nibble when they feel the need.

I have an automatic waterer in the yard and one in the coop... the food stays in the coop. They come out every morning where I give them them a fresh veggie salad (lettuce, tomato, bell pepper, banana, etc.) when they finish that some will go back to coop to have a little layer pellets during the day.

I advise not to feed in the coop, as the food will attract unwanted pests such as mice, rats, even weasels if they are in your area. Of course then mice and rats attract snakes.

Water - I don't like water in the coops unless they are hanging waterers or nipple system type waterers for the same reason. Especially if you are in a dry area - critters are going to get attracted to it as well if they can access it.

Quote:
Not to sound stupid, but what is the difference between the coop and the hen house? I thought they were the same thing.

Quote:
Won't the critters be attracted if the food/water is in the run too? In fact, more so since it would be more easily accessible? I think it depends on the climate. We get a lot of sudden rain so we feed in the coop. Otherwise it would be getting wet all the time. As for water, I keep it in the coop now but will probably add one in the run most of the year. I just want to keep some in the coop so they're used to that because in the winter, it'll have to be in the coop only due to freezing.

Back
Top Bottom