Which bantam is for me?

Would you be willing to share some thoughts facts and advice regarding your d’Uccles ? I have a breeder shipping me a trio in a week or so.
Are you getting chicks, or Adults? What aspects of them are you curious about?
Well aside from what I mentioned in my first post, they tend to be prone to broodiness (some will never go broody though) and are excellent mothers. Even though they are small, docile birds, they can hold their own around other breeds, even full sized birds.
The roosters tend to be docile too, Out of the dozens of roosters I've raised I've only had 2 show aggression toward humans.
They do better in confinement then other bantam breeds. Make sure their coop and run stays dry so that their feathered feet don't get caked with mud, and be careful if you get a lot of snow, even though the are pretty cold hardy, they have a lot of trouble walking though snow, even just a couple inches.
That's all I can think of at the moment. :) Enjoy your new birds!

Are you getting chicks, or Adults? What aspects of them are you curious about?
Well aside from what I mentioned in my first post, they tend to be prone to broodiness (some will never go broody though) and are excellent mothers. Even though they are small, docile birds, they can hold their own around other breeds, even full sized birds.
The roosters tend to be docile too, Out of the dozens of roosters I've raised I've only had 2 show aggression toward humans.
They do better in confinement then other bantam breeds. Make sure their coop and run stays dry so that their feathered feet don't get caked with mud, and be careful if you get a lot of snow, even though the are pretty cold hardy, they have a lot of trouble walking though snow, even just a couple inches.
That's all I can think of at the moment. :) Enjoy your new birds!

I am getting a 3m old cockerel from one breeder and a 1year old trio from another, when the 3m old cockerel reaches a year I was going to try and pair him with the spare hen. It never snows here . It’s always hot about 8mos out of the year. Guess I just want to make sure I care for them the best I can. I’m super excited about them. Was going to cage them in cages with sand or pine shaving bottoms off the ground as my 7yr old may want to “show” one of them at a jr show.

I've had Belgian d'Uccles for a very long time, and love them! Mine aren't SQ, but pretty birds, and some are broody. I've had many cockbirds, and only two were human aggressive, long ago. Love them!
My EE bantams are from Cackle, and they are terrific. I'm raising some as a project flock; pretty, many aqua eggs, and actually almost eating size. My cockbird weighs in at 3.1 lbs, so larger than the Belgian d'Uccles.
I've had bantam Cochins, very cute. The two cockerels I had wanted to kill each other, and I moved them on rather than deal with it. They are adorable though.
I free range, and the bantams, especially juveniles, are much more likely to be taken by hawks, rather than the standard birds. Be aware...
IMG_0649.JPG IMG_0411 (1).JPG IMG_0412.JPG EE bantams
IMG_0417 (1).JPG Baby d'Uccles IMG_0711.JPG Mama d'Uccle with
both d'Uccle and bantamEE chicks.
Mary

I've had Belgian d'Uccles for a very long time, and love them! Mine aren't SQ, but pretty birds, and some are broody. I've had many cockbirds, and only two were human aggressive, long ago. Love them!
My EE bantams are from Cackle, and they are terrific. I'm raising some as a project flock; pretty, many aqua eggs, and actually almost eating size. My cockbird weighs in at 3.1 lbs, so larger than the Belgian d'Uccles.
I've had bantam Cochins, very cute. The two cockerels I had wanted to kill each other, and I moved them on rather than deal with it. They are adorable though.
I free range, and the bantams, especially juveniles, are much more likely to be taken by hawks, rather than the standard birds. Be aware...
View attachment 1260717 View attachment 1260721 View attachment 1260722 EE bantams
View attachment 1260726 Baby d'UcclesView attachment 1260731 Mama d'Uccle with
both d'Uccle and bantamEE chicks.
Mary

Feather legged bantams are slower than your more game type bantams so may be more likely to be picked off by a predator, but that depends on how much cover you have and how good your birds are at spotting danger as well as what predators you have to deal with. Personally I love the OEGBs and Modern Game bantams are on my 'want' list.

Back
Top Bottom