Which Breed is Conan?

Slike

Songster
12 Years
Dec 1, 2007
Puna, Big Island, HI
I know he's some part silkie for a couple reasons - the 5th toe, some of his skin was blue-tinted as a baby (the rest pink) and as he'd grown, his legs have become completely blue. His beak and facial skin remain pink. Has a little beard and poofy cheeks.

babyConan.jpg

Pipis_patio.jpg

Conan_leaves.jpg

Conan_patio3.jpg

Conan_patio2.jpg

The last two were taken yesterday. For another picture of him as a baby, check https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=86453 (3rd pic)

When he was very little, we also called him Wocket but I decided Conan would be more appropriate cause he felt like a solid little fluff-covered ball of meat. As he's grown up, he has become very thin. At first we thought maybe he was part Cornish but that wouldn't make sense now with how slender and light he has become. He has the softest feathers I have ever felt. Any idea what else he might be?

(BTW, I realize its most likely a hen, but we're so used to calling it "him" lol)

This looks very like a pure bantam sultan to me also. They have the 5 toes as well, and all the feathering looks spot on for the breed. It's been a while since I've had sultans but I think the leg color fits as well. And that breed also has the beard and poofy cheeks. Was she hatched out of your eggs so you know she's a cross or from a hatchery? Sure looks sultan if it's a cross it's amazing how she turned out! Very Beautiful!

Oh wow! I stand corrected. I'd seen pics of Sultan roos but never the hens. I figured he was part silkie cause of the toe, I didn't know other breeds also had that trait. Thanks for the info, upon searching I came up with some Sultan hen pics and they look just like Conan, only a bit larger. That's pretty neat that I wound up with what appear to be 2 pure bred bantams for 2$ out of the "assorted bantam" box
big_smile.png

SHE looks just like our pretty little sultan girl! Ours is our family favorite. She is so personable, and appears to enjoy hanging out with her humans more than her peeps. Enjoy her!

Back
Top Bottom