Which breed is James?

Slike

Songster
12 Years
Dec 1, 2007
Puna, Big Island, HI
I bought this little LITTLE guy from a batch of "assorted bantams" at the local feed store, along with Conan who I'll post about later. No pics of Conan on this laptop. They both appear to be hens, and the names are sticking, lol... But I can't figure out what either of them are breed-wise, especially James who has looked more like a sparrow her whole life than a chicken. Out of probably 30+ chicks, James was by far the tiniest thing in there:

note the little black 'stache that grows
babyJames.jpg

babyJames2.jpg

Pipis_babies.jpg

James_leaves2.jpg

James_scruffy.jpg

I will post a few more recent pics in a couple hours when I go back to my place, since James' feathers have now all grown in and the beak is even longer. Any ideas?

Last edited:
I think you might have just helped me while trying to find out what James is.

I have been trying to figure out what my little one winged silkie chick is mixed with and now I am thinking it might be a columbian colored OEGB. Nemo looks very similar to your James!

Pic_03Aug292008.jpg

Aw she's very cute, what happened to her little wing? Or did you buy her like that? I'm very interested in what she'll look like in time.

I bought her at an auction. The guy held up this tiny little lone chick and I felt so bad for it, so I bid and got her for a dollar.

Had no clue what kind of chick it even was. When I took her out of the box, she had 1 good wing, but the other was just a healing stump tucked under her. The box said Silkie on the outside. But she is definitely only part Silkie, her size and 5 toes. The rest is something else. She is feathering out pretty quick now. James is the first chicken that has looked pretty close to her feathers.

Well, now that I retook pics of Nemo. I am confused all over again. Here is him today. He doesn't look as much like James now, except for leg color (I think), maybe the tail eventually and wing feathers.

Pic_05Sep052008.jpg

Pic_02Sep052008.jpg

Pic_06Sep052008.jpg

Pic_07Sep052008.jpg

Perhaps the coloring of whatever his Silkie parent has is what changes it a bit, like I could imagine a splash one and a Columbian OEG having a baby like that. The feet and the shape of the body still look very similar to James imo. Guess we'll just have to give Nemo a little more time and see how the feather coloring comes out
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom