Which Breed(s) Have Fewest Medical Problems?

Smokerbill

Free Ranging
Apr 1, 2023
SW Washington
I got back into chickening a couple months ago, buying eight Barred Rock chicks. One of the reasons I got the BRs is that from my understanding they are a hardy breed, having few medical issues. Plus they are generally pleasant birds. Am I correct in that assumption?

Which other breeds have the fewest problems? It seems to me that many of the "designer chickens" that are hybridized to meet production goals, or to look cool as heck are the ones that suffer medical issues more than the heritage breeds.

Anyway, what do you think? Are there many breeds that are nearly problem free?

I got back into chickening a couple months ago, buying eight Barred Rock chicks. One of the reasons I got the BRs is that from my understanding they are a hardy breed, having few medical issues. Plus they are generally pleasant birds. Am I correct in that assumption?

Which other breeds have the fewest problems? It seems to me that many of the "designer chickens" that are hybridized to meet production goals, or to look cool as heck are the ones that suffer medical issues more than the heritage breeds.

Well, to find out ones that have less, you need to find ones that do.

Generally, breeds with vaulted skulls and high production egg layers succumb to more problems, anything bred to be more productive (for meat/eggs) in a extreme form, usually last less (Due to overweight issues and ovarian cancer which is VERY common.) like sex links and cornish rock chickens.

So with all that being said, i find that chickens like plymouth rocks, Australorps, etc. Are quite hardy indeed! Silkies, Japanese bantams, etc, are not.

What you’re looking for is these qualities (For less problems)

Cold hardy birds have lots of feathers to keep warm, silkies, frizzles, sizzles, and thinner bantams do not apply here. Orphingtons, Australorps, RIR, wyandottes, etc, are more tolerant.

Weight. The heavier the bird, the more they are often linked to health problems. This may include, bumble foot, easier breakage of legs, especially as chicks, etc. Mostly talking about meat birds that way a lot, like Cornish cross.

I hope this helped you!

Last edited:

Don't get anything with lots of crest feathers like Polish.
Don't get Silkies, frizzles or any breed with feathers on the feet/legs as they attract scaly leg mites and mud/ice will stick to the legs.
Cornish Rock hybrid broilers and Red Rangers are the only heavy meat chickens that suffer from being too big.
Avoid hybrids like ISA browns, Amber links, Cinnamon Queens.
White leghorns lay lots of eggs and seem hardier than hybrids.
Most any dual purpose heritage chicken like Barred Rock, Australorp etc will be hardy.

Well, to find out ones that have less, you need to find ones that do.

Generally, breeds with vaulted skulls and high production egg layers succumb to more problems, anything bred to be more productive (for meat/eggs) in a extreme form, usually last less (Due to overweight issues and ovarian cancer which is VERY common.) like sex links and cornish rock chickens.

So with all that being said, i find that chickens like plymouth rocks, Australorps, etc. Are quite hardy indeed! Silkies, Japanese bantams, etc, are not.

What you’re looking for is these qualities (For less problems)

Cold hardy birds have lots of feathers to keep warm, silkies, frizzles, sizzles, and thinner bantams do not apply here. Orphingtons, Australorps, RIR, wyandottes, etc, are more tolerant.

Weight. The heavier the bird, the more they are often linked to health problems. This may include, bumble foot, easier breakage of legs, especially as chicks, etc. Mostly talking about meat birds that way a lot, like Cornish cross.

I hope this helped you!
Very helpful. Sorry for the delay, as I never got notification that you answered my post. Thanks!

I've considered the wear and tear on their legs and feet, so I keep the roost height low. It's at about 18" at the highest point.

Generally a bird that is from a responsible breeder will be healthier than the lesser quality counterparts. That being said, I'd say aseel
Mine are just standard commercial chicks I bought at a Wilco store (similar to Tractor Supply). They are all over the place in the way they look, from very dark to almost silver in color. And I'm hoping this is a plus for their potential long term health. Kind of like how mutt dogs seem to be healthier than purebreds. Could be wrong, though.

Don't get anything with lots of crest feathers like Polish.
Don't get Silkies, frizzles or any breed with feathers on the feet/legs as they attract scaly leg mites and mud/ice will stick to the legs.
Cornish Rock hybrid broilers and Red Rangers are the only heavy meat chickens that suffer from being too big.
Avoid hybrids like ISA browns, Amber links, Cinnamon Queens.
White leghorns lay lots of eggs and seem hardier than hybrids.
Most any dual purpose heritage chicken like Barred Rock, Australorp etc will be hardy.
My pullets are barred rocks. My two cockerels are black copper marans, and have some feathering on their legs. I'll keep an eye open for scaly leg mites. Thanks

I have never had any "medical" problems with any Rock type or RIRs, not even an infestation of mites or lice. Now have BLK AUS from a quality breeder and they are very healthy. But then the RIRs and Rock type birds are all I've ever had. I think also that you don't overload your area with more birds than it can handle and keep the coop clean, this I learned back in the 50s and 60s from my Grandmother, never heard her say "I have a problem".

Back
Top Bottom