Which breeds did you wish you got?

I would love to have some Brahmas, Sussex, and Orpingtons at some point. I got an even dozen chicks from my local feed store this year, 6 Barred Rocks; 3 Black Australorp; and 3 Easter Eggers. Planning a flock is kind of like planning a garden; if there is something you want to try, but can't fit it in this season, you can always wait till the next season.

I wish I would have gotten black australorps and cochins. They are both so sweet and affectionate. Plus australorps lay lots of eggs which we can always use more of!

We started with silkies. When a neighbourhood dog ate one, we needed some more hens. I chose birds for diverse shell colours, so I have a welsummer, a speckled sussex, a buff orpington, and an ameracauna. Our welsummer is noisy, flighty, broody, and a general pain in the ***, but she's very pretty to look at. The speckled sussex is by far the best forager and a solid layer. I'll have another one of those. The buff orpington is a mellow bird who lays an egg pretty much every day. She's independent, too. The ameracauna was raised by one of the silkies and is kind of a wimp but she lays beautiful blue eggs. She's most likely to let us pick her up. The silkies are kind of toys. They are broody most of the time. But since they are older than the other hens, they keep everyone in line.

I want a wyandotte and a black sussex. Just because they are so pretty!

I have Golden laced and Easter Eggers, which all have great temperaments. I'm curious as to what was bad about your Golden laces. Mine are still young, so I'm wondering if they'll change when they're older. I was also considering adding a few Buff Orpingtons.

Stacie

I have had polish which had great personalities, ex batteries which were sweet, a black sex link which was so pretty and a great layer, a white leghorn who was slightly mad but awesome, an araucana for blue eggs.

I had a predator problem and lost most of them :( but I am starting to rebuild my flock, I want to get a Welsummer and a Cream Legbar for egg colour, a chocolate Orpington, a Buff Laced Frizzled Polish and maybe a Silver Sussex. :)

We started with a silver EE and a typical EE (the silver ended up being a roo and has been rehomed), but we adore our little EE hen. She is so affectionate, and funny, just jumps right in anyone's lap and coos. We also had two buff orpingtons, one was a roo and was too mean to rehome, so, he is in the freezer, and the hen is cute and friendly. We also have two white leghorns that are flighty and skittish, but we expected that. In March we picked up two silver laced wyandottes and two rhode island reds.

Since none of my flock are laying eggs yet, still too young, I can't speak for who is a good egg layer or who is broody, etc, but, I predict my EE and my buff will remain our favorites because of their temperaments. Next spring we are increasing our flock by two austrolorps, two black marans, and at least one more EE, possibly another buff, just to keep things even.

I would love to have a Welsummer and maybe a cuckoo maran.

Our newest flock members, two little bourbon red turkeys have started me wanting to branch out to other poultry. So, if we get the farm we are hoping to buy, we will keep turkeys, quail, and perhaps pheasant, too. Maybe a few ducks. Definitely no geese. Just too mean for me.

If I would have more time, room and money I would love to add some Ramelsloher
0.jpg

in white or
0.jpg

yellow

and some Bergische Kräher.

0.jpg

Bothe breeds are extrem rare and deserve more attention and breeding skills than I can give them at the moment.
So a project for retirement.

I love all of my birds...well most. I have barred rocks, sl and GL Wyandottes, cochins, polish
1f60d.png
, delawares, new hamps, mini sebrite, lakenvelders, houdans, white rocks, jubilees, EE, Australorps', jersey giants, and some others that I can't think of at the moment. If I had to get rid of some it would probably be most of the Delaware and new hamps. I enjoy these, but i have to many. I would definitely get rid of my Delaware roo if it wasn't for breeding purposes, but I love my new hamp roo hes so sweet. I hope to ad some tolbunt polish to my flock.
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom