Which came first ? The chicken or the coop ??

chicks... coop came when I was in the hospital and hubby wanted to do something nice for me. He was half done when I came home... (and redesigned the coop).

Coop. Coops, actually. I built a coop allll by myself (and it shows!) and was still working on it when I got the chicks. Got it all finished before I was willing to put the chicks outside (I bought them the 1st of October and we had a cold Winter here - for this part of California). I started having second thoughts about the coop I built... I was letting them play in the lower pen area on nice days, and then having a heck of a time catching them to bring them back inside for the night.

So I bought a coop kit off eBay, which cost a lot but served my needs very well. Plus, I could catch the chicks! That's the one I moved them into when the youngest chicks were 8 weeks old and the oldest were 12 weeks old. Y'see I had added more as time passed, so I had some 8 weekers, 10 weekers, 11 weekers and 12 weekers. 8 altogether.

They spent their coop time in the new coop and often played in the original coop I built.

In the case of my first order of chickens, the coop was started first then DH tore both rotator cuffs in his shoulders building said coop, thus I had chickens living on the screened porch for the first five months of their lives while DH recuperated.

In the case of my second order of chickens, they (14 of em) were supposed to have lived in the coop with the adult birds, seperated by a wire wall from the adults. Then I was "gifted" with 19 CX chicks and suddenly there wasn't enough room in the coop for the 14+19, so a second coop build was in order. Thus, I had another set of birds living on the screened porch for the first five months of their lives.

Stuff happens.
hmm.png

Coop here. Or at least that is the *plan*. I'm getting impatient for it to get finished, and I'm wondering if I can spur hubs along by getting some birds and putting 'em in the bedroom. On his side of the bed. On his pillow. HAHAHA

With me a duck came first! It was a baby that my neighbors brought home along with a Momma and 2 other babies and put them on their pond. They didn't have anywhere to hide so something chased them off. Momma and 2 babies vanished with out a trace. One came here in the middle of the night, and was soon going to be snack food for my cat, when my son came home from a date, and saved the duckling from my bad kitty! He locked up the cat, and then he put it in the creek, thinking it would be safe! Then came and woke me up! So in my PJ's out in the dark looking for baby duck to no avail! It was hiding good. I did find it in the morning, took me an hour to catch it! I carried it in my apron all day, till we got it a make shift cage! Then after a few days he seemed lonely so we found the bird lady and took a trip to her house, she had everything ducks, swans, turkeys, chickens, pea fowl, geese,it was amazing! We left with 5 duckies and 6 chickens(cochins) The ducklings were 2 rouens and 3 muscovies, which ended up being what my lone duckling was! It was fate, he was male, and I had picked 2 females and a male. Lone duck was the male we kept, the other male had to go, he grew into a trouble maker! He is what got us into raising muscovies for meat! Lone duck is named Paddle, and his 2 ladies are Squeaker and Lovey! They still live here it been almost 5 years! We now have 18 chickens. 2 coops later! Oh I did go over to neighbors and ask if they wanted lone duck back, she said no, she was afraid of it! Lucky me!

Nothing gets the coop built faster than knowing your shipment of chicks is on the way. BTDT.

Back
Top Bottom