Which coop should I get?

Vanessakz12

Hatching
Jul 1, 2015
Hello members,

newbie here, though I have been a long time reader.
As a science project we just recently hatched 5 Japanese quails, and I am planning to keep them.
I spent the last couple of days looking for a coop that will meet all my needs. Off-ground nesting area, run, easy access, can lock up the quails if needed and it also has to be appealing to the eye and look good in our landscaping. On some of the coops the ramps to the second floor looked awfully steep, so I googled quails and ramps... and cam to find that most quails apparently don't use the ramp? That completely throws me off now, because I would much prefer a 2 level coop. How is your experience with that? How if I put rubber on the ramp?
So far my chicks have been extremely playful, and I have built them a quail playground where they run, jump and climb like crazy. It is hard for me to believe that they won't walk up and down a ramp.

Quail prefer to hop and fly everywhere. BUT they will use ramps. Here is my latest coop area for my birds. I used to use huge aviaries for my birds but my quail are growing quite old, others have passed on from old age and I only have a few left. So I moved them into one of these and they do indeed use the ramp...

The wooden ramp was a bit slippery so I put some of that rubber shelf liner on it. I have also since added more fake foliage in the bottom. Quail love to lurk and sneak around under brush. I use sand in the run for easy clean up and it helps keep it dry, even if it gets wet.

I don't have personal experience on two level coops, but when I was researching to get my coop there were a lot of comments on people saying do not waste the time or money on getting a two level coop / high ramp as they will simply not go up. Quails do like their hidey holes and wind protection as well and need some type of box/hutch.

It would be a shame to spend $200-$400 on a "two level" coop to find your quail won't go up...

Saying that, while my quail use the coop from time to time for their hidey holes and wind protection - I constantly find them sleeping in the run and I am in the middle of winter where I am haha...

So far I have looked at the following three coops:

The only thing I don't like about this one is the mesh on the top of the run.

The ramp appears a bit steep to me?

I love this one because it has the flower box! However, it seems I won't be able to close and lock the nest.

Last edited:
Yes, you should probably cover the roof on the first one to keep out too much sun, rain, snow, etc..I put corrugated roofing over mine, although it already did have a covered roof. It is extended out about 6 inches on either side and I have found it keeps out much of the rain and snow with such a large over hang.

The second ramp is way too steep for quail. But you could put a cement block under the end so they have to hop up and the ramp wouldn't be so steep. Not sure if they would use the ramp in this fashion.

The third one is nice. Not too steep on the ramp. However you will still need to add something for gripping on these ramps like I did with the rubber shelf liner.

Now...to train quail to use coops you will need to lock them inside for a couple of days. If you don't lock them in, they will NEVER go up that ramp and use the coop. They don't know to go into coops. So by locking them in all day for a couple or few days and then opening the door and allowing them to decide to come out, this will teach them that the coop is a very safe place to be and will return to it.

I have my birds clicker trained to go up at night. I click my clicker and they all go up the ramp and into the coop. If you make sure your run is 100% predator proof, you can let them sleep out in the run. My birds really prefer to sleep outside and did all the time in the aviaries except on the coldest, snowiest of winter nights. But now I rather they sleep in the coop so I run them in each night.

Definitely bury wire deeply or set this on some buried railroad ties so nothing can dig under. Critters love to dig and will do so very quickly when they smell your quail. Predators will come for miles to eat your quail. So make sure they can't get in.

Oh and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom