Which hen should go??

crumptz

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 22, 2012
Mountain View, CA
We picked out 5 chicks. We anticipated one would be a roo... well, we are 4/5 weeks in and I think they are all hens. Yes, that is good news; however I think we need to sell one or give one away due to space. I am debating between the black sex link or the golden laced whyandotte. I think they will both be good layers. I hear the sex link is quiter breed so I tend toward that... but I don't know! Any advice???

Are they all different breeds? I'd probably wait a little while longer just to make absolutly sure they are all girls...wouldn't it suck if you got rid of a hen and kept a roo accidentally!

Last edited:
I admire your determination b/c, boy, it's so tempting to "just squeeze one more in."

Are you really good at the sex ID (I suck at it)? We had a late bloomer and were surprised. "It's a boy!"

I love my GLW and they are quiet. And so so gorgeous in the yard. Good layers, well-behaved.

I'm at a loss. To answer the first question, I have 1. RIR, 1 ameracouna, 1 buff orp, 1 black sex link and 1 GLW.
I probably should keep them until I'm sure of the sex... I guess I'm just thinking it will be easier to get a home for a smaller chick rather than full grown hen.

Actually! You might wait until they start laying and decide them. One: you will be sure they are all hens. Two: you might look in your area and see if there are any hens available for sale. When we got our chicks we decided we wanted to get a hen that was already laying so we wouldn't have to wait so long. I was shocked at how hard it was to find any. There were numerous wanted ads on craigslist of others looking for laying hens too and the few that popped up were quickly sold.
I acutally thought about buying a couple extra just to sell once they were laying for that reason, not that it would be very profitable, but those lil guys sure are fun to watch grow up.
Plus, then you can see their personalities really develop and get rid of your least favorite.

That's a GREAT idea! I'm keeping them all and will decide after they mature and lay. My 13 year old wants to keep 'em all so he can have an egg stand and sell them when we are overloaded! Thanks everyone!... You know, the one that is most aggressive is my ameracouna (sp). All the rest are pretty cool but that one acts like I'm gonna chuck it in the broiler every time I come to the coop! I'd "vote her off the island" if I wasn't so geared up for blue or green eggs!
big_smile.png

Boy the ameraucanas I've had are sissys...I wonder about that one being a roo? Could you snap a pic? I've gotten good with visually sexing the breeds I raise...
You will get more money for a "point of lay" pullet if you think you have too many, so that's the best plan! :)

Back
Top Bottom