Which plywood is better...

RonnieJB

Chirping
Jul 10, 2022
Alpine, Tx
I'm about to build a proper chicken coop. I think 8(9? maybe)ft w x 4ft d x 7(8?)ft h.

I'm gathering scrap lumber which I have a lot of, from various sources. I am planning on repurposing pallets for the framing.
For the main question and for the item I don't have(will purchase on this coming Wednesday) is which plywood thickness should I purchase for the exteriors? I will be attaching scrap roofing metal siding to it. I have looked on a bunch of threads here but im having a hard time deciding. Where I live btw, we dont have too terrible of a winter typically down to 20ish over night but sometimes into the teens or once in a few yrs even into the singles. Highs can be in the 30s. But I dont want to wake to frozen chickens either...( I know they're fairly tough but still)

So Ive been assembling and gathering materials for the coop. Most of the wood has been free. Some 2x4x8s I purchased at close to $7 a piece. The hardware consists of 3 1/2 in deck screws, and 2 in woodscrews for the slates. I plan on a dutch style custom door and a few windows. The shelving( roosts) will be mini pallets modified. I primed and painted the plywood which was also a freebie from a worksite that had discarded it merely because of a miscut. They gave it to me quietly 🤫. The roof will be tinned. And the area at the roof will be fixed so there wont be any gaps. The major issue is now the hail cloth doesn't streth over and I will have to remeasure and purchase a new one. I also have some rain gutters stashed and will probably cock every gap. Please ignore the chicken poop they like it already and poop on things they claim.
20221009_173355.jpg
20221009_173401.jpg
20221009_160334.jpg
20221009_104236.jpg
20221009_102603.jpg
20221009_160345.jpg

Back
Top Bottom