FWIW I do not separate the coop bedding, pine chips everywhere.

I started with plastic containers with sand, ash, Sulphur in the coop and run, eventually deleted in the coop.

My flock is in the run all day/everyday, they occasionally use the containers in the run but mostly dig through the bedding to the earth/gravel below.

I'm talking about the "scratch shed" area in the front with the windows. I know it needs to be a coarser sand than play sand, I'm just not sure what it's called.
It's impossible to name, too many colloquial labels and there are no standards.
You'll have to go look and touch. I learned this while searching for sand years ago when doing concrete sculpture.

Unless you have a definitive(pretty tall) barrier between the 2 areas it will end up being mixed.

Last edited:
I started with plastic containers with sand, ash, sulfur in the coop and run, eventually deleted in the coop.

I assume that was for dust baths? Why did you had sulfur? Is it powdered sulfur?

I use a 50/50 mix of dirt and ash from the wood heaters ground to a fine powder in a mixer with some large rocks. It flows like water and when I clean the dust bath and add fresh dirt/ash everyone want's to be in there.

JT

I assume that was for dust baths? Why did you had sulfur? Is it powdered sulfur?

I use a 50/50 mix of dirt and ash from the wood heaters ground to a fine powder in a mixer with some large rocks. It flows like water and when I clean the dust bath and add fresh dirt/ash everyone want's to be in there.

JT
Sorry, I was not clear. Yes for dust baths.

The powdered sulphur is reputed to be a deterrent to mite/lice type pests. I use it in the dust baths and in a porous lingerie wash bag hung over the pop door.

CCED0BEA-86C4-4A87-8726-2F85618A5BB8.jpeg
Update, birds are in coop, I’ll get pics tomorrow!

Sorry, I was not clear. Yes for dust baths.

The powdered sulphur is reputed to be a deterrent to mite/lice type pests. I use it in the dust baths and in a porous lingerie wash bag hung over the pop door.
I need to get some powdered Sulphur I guess. Already a lot of flies hanging around the entrance

Back
Top Bottom