Which turkey is right for me? 3 choices....

ChickNorris13

Hatching
Sep 3, 2015
We would like to get into turkeys next spring. We want meat turkeys that will forage, are good mothers, and have a calm docile nature as we have a 7 year old daughter and chickens. The three options I have for turkeys we have close enough by us to go pick up are Orlopp Bronze, Bourbon Red and Chocolate. We do want to breed them so we dont have to continue purchasing poulets but our main draw is for the meat. What do you guys think? I tried looking them up but had a hard time finding things like temperament. Any info would be much appreciated! :D

I love bourbon reds, they are usually very sweet (although temperament depends on the individual), mine are very good foragers and are supposedly really good mothers. The three I have now (2 boys and a girl only 14 weeks old) each have their own personalities, the biggest male is slightly standoffish and may turn into a attack turkey, the other male is a super sweet snuggle bug and the female is very independent but sweet. About 4 years ago I had a male bourbon red and male chocolate, the chocolate attacked everyone except me (I was "momma turkey") but the bourbon didn't, could have just been that turkey but I've read that chocolates can be aggressive. Never had a male bronze but my female was very sweet. My all time favorites so far were sweetgrass turkeys though, both male and females were sweet and curious, you can look them up at Porters Turkeys, they are also very pretty
smile.png
. Hope this helps.

I've heard good things about the Bourbon Reds. Although I've never raised any of the three you mentioned. I currently have Sweetgrass turkeys. Since I bought them when they were 1 yr olds they are a little standoffish (probably weren't handled a lot as poults) but they are definitely curious and not aggressive at all and super pretty.

All three varieties will suit your needs, I have found bourbon reds to be a bit more curious, but that doesn't mean other varieties are just as personable. So pick which color you most like looking at, or one of each, if you don't care about color mixing. Other than that each has its own personality and desire for mothering.

Bourbon Reds all the way. They are very calm and forge very well. I currently have 3 hens. SO now I have to find a tom for them.

I have had Blue Slates and Narggarsett turkeys before. The Bourbon so far are my favorite.

Back
Top Bottom