White…Cuckoo Maran?

Hmm. That could work for ones that show black, but I see some with blue. Do we have any reason to think the Smokey Pearls have blue?

The one that looks most obviously mottled to me is a blue, so maybe it has a Blue Cochin mother and no barring, but maybe some of the others have the Smokey Pearl mother and do have barring?

It is definitely NOT an easy starting point for learning genetics!
No, I definitely don’t think they have blue.

This particular bird that I posted here has almost a dark brown barring onhackle feather, and I do know that with the isa browns and our cookies and cream rooster, the white roosters, have a orange, almost dark brown leakage. I was leaning towards that one maybe but I just thought that maybe with the cuckoo something like this could happen one in 1 million or whatever

I was thinking that too, barred hen with not-barred rooster to make barred sons and not-barred daughters.

But the male in this one doesn't really look barred to me. I think I'm seeing mottling on him.

The Cookies & Cream rooster should be mottled. Mottling is generally considered a recessive gene, only showing when a chicken inherits it from both parents. But for chicks that inherit just one mottling gene, especially if they are black, it is fairly common that they show mottling while they are young and that disappears as they grow up. Since blue is a diluted black, the same thing could easily happen with blues.

How many male and female chicks were there? I'm thinking it might just be coincidence that males showed some mottling and females did not.
Actually, with this specific Hatch with the blue rooster I have pictured here it was only him and another were the only two cochin cookies and cream crosses. I honestly started seeing it and just kind of ignored it while scratching my head the whole time. But now with the last Hatch we had with this specific rooster, there were a lot of boys and only a few girls this time and that’s when I noticed how different they were!. I did notice that I got some crazy ones like this also..
Seems like bigger white where the barring is beginning. You can tell the difference between the boys and the girl here

Attachments

• IMG_3886.jpeg
    IMG_3886.jpeg
    513.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3575.jpeg
    IMG_3575.jpeg
    339.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3445.jpeg
    IMG_3445.jpeg
    495.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3438.jpeg
    IMG_3438.jpeg
    520.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3441.jpeg
    IMG_3441.jpeg
    519.3 KB · Views: 4
I was thinking that too, barred hen with not-barred rooster to make barred sons and not-barred daughters.

But the male in this one doesn't really look barred to me. I think I'm seeing mottling on him.

The Cookies & Cream rooster should be mottled. Mottling is generally considered a recessive gene, only showing when a chicken inherits it from both parents. But for chicks that inherit just one mottling gene, especially if they are black, it is fairly common that they show mottling while they are young and that disappears as they grow up. Since blue is a diluted black, the same thing could easily happen with blues.

How many male and female chicks were there? I'm thinking it might just be coincidence that males showed some mottling and females did not.
It starts out looking like mottling yes. But then it turns into a very pretty tight barring.

This is the first boy that was born from the cookies and cream! This is him tonight. You can see the barring. His name is Brother. They are so timid that the other roosters somehow managed to break his leg. I got it amputated and he’s our garage buddy now.

Attachments

• IMG_4229.jpeg
    IMG_4229.jpeg
    373.6 KB · Views: 4
With this combination we got paint hens, some with black legs and darker eyes, black hens, white boys with ghost barring. The offspring has been consistent with barring and paints. I even did a silkie combo. Dad blue silkie and mom paint pearl.
I have a dominant white WTB that was bred with my black English Orpington Roo, all the babies hatched were paint except 1, it was reversed, black base white spots

This is the first boy that was born from the cookies and cream! This is him tonight. You can see the barring. His name is Brother. They are so timid that the other roosters somehow managed to break his leg. I got it amputated and he’s our garage buddy now.
I agree, that one definitely seems to have barring.
Who did you say his mother was?

Edit: I thought you were saying the chicks don't have blue, and I got busy pointing out that they did too have blue. Now I realize, you meant the Smokey Pearl hens do not have blue. If the Smokey Pearl hens do not have blue, that is a pretty good reason they cannot be the mothers of blue chicks, when the father does not have blue either.

Actually, with this specific Hatch with the blue rooster I have pictured here it was only him and another were the only two cochin cookies and cream crosses. I honestly started seeing it and just kind of ignored it while scratching my head the whole time. But now with the last Hatch we had with this specific rooster, there were a lot of boys and only a few girls this time and that’s when I noticed how different they were!. I did notice that I got some crazy ones like this also..
Seems like bigger white where the barring is beginning. You can tell the difference between the boys and the girl here
If you got quite a few of them from the Cookies & Cream rooster with the Blue Cochin hen, and you definitely noticed this pattern (barred sons and not-barred daughters), I think the mother must have barring. That would either mean your Blue Cochin hen has barring that you hadn't noticed, or it would mean you mixed up which hen laid the eggs for the entire batch. Neither one sounds very likely, but I don't see any other way to get sex-linked chicks where the males show barring and the females do not.

I agree, that one definitely seems to have barring.
Who did you say his mother was?

Edit: I thought you were saying the chicks don't have blue, and I got busy pointing out that they did too have blue. Now I realize, you meant the Smokey Pearl hens do not have blue. If the Smokey Pearl hens do not have blue, that is a pretty good reason they cannot be the mothers of blue chicks, when the father does not have blue either.

If you got quite a few of them from the Cookies & Cream rooster with the Blue Cochin hen, and you definitely noticed this pattern (barred sons and not-barred daughters), I think the mother must have barring. That would either mean your Blue Cochin hen has barring that you hadn't noticed, or it would mean you mixed up which hen laid the eggs for the entire batch. Neither one sounds very likely, but I don't see any other way to get sex-linked chicks where the males show barring and the females do not.
Very true! That’s what I don’t get. The only blue we have is our blue Cochins. Only barring is our cuckoo maran hens and Smokey pearls 🤯

Very true! That’s what I don’t get. The only blue we have is our blue Cochins. Only barring is our cuckoo maran hens and Smokey pearls 🤯
I'm starting to think your Blue Cochins might include some Blue Cuckoo Cochins.

If the Smokey Pearls have some blue hiding in them as well (since Dominant White can hide blue), I might have expected that to be obvious by now, since you have been hatching chicks from them. (Depending on how much you know which chicks come from which eggs come from which hens.)

Or else one of your other chickens has a very dark blue instead of actual black. But if that was one of the roosters, it should show up in chicks from other hens too.

I don't remember seeing a photo of your Cookies & Cream rooster. Is there any chance he has barring? Or any chance that the Cuckoo Marans rooster could be the father of any of the blue barred chicks?

Back
Top Bottom