White Amerecauna x Blue Splash Maran Chick Color

Jordanmw96

In the Brooder
Jul 24, 2022
Wondering what color the chicks will be ( not the eggs) if I cross this white amerecauna hen (I think she’s white with black leakage) to a blue splash marans.
0EDC37E6-8E91-469B-BC7C-08DA21A051D9.jpeg

It depends on whether she is recessive white, dominant white, or silver.

I'm going to make a guess and see how close I come...then tag @NatJ for expert opinion. (I just like to play at genetics while learning...trying to work through guesses helps me learn as I study and read).

Blue produces 50% blue and 50% black chicks as it manipulates the diluter for black. BUT I also know that white manipulates black.

If dominant white, I think you will have white chicks with black leakage like mom.
If recessive white or silver (which only addresses red), I think you will get 50% black, 50% blue.

But...I'm not sure I'd call her "white." If that's sort of a lavender(?)...I'm not sure yet as I haven't memorized lavender other than to know (think) it takes 2 lavender genes to make lavender. I'd think 50% blue and black again???

NatJ...how'd I do from memory?

LofMc

Wondering what color the chicks will be ( not the eggs) if I cross this white amerecauna hen (I think she’s white with black leakage) to a blue splash marans.
I would guess the hen has the genes to be all black, with one copy of the Dominant White gene (allows black leakage.)

The Splash rooster (two copies of the blue gene, on a bird that otherwise has the genes to be all black) should give one blue gene to every chick. If his mate was black, all chicks would be blue.

With the Dominant Whtie in the mix, I would expect 50% blue chicks (no Dominant White), and 50% white chicks with blue leakage (Dominant White covering the blue, but allowing some leakage.)

Dominant White with black leakage sometimes gets called Paint, and with blue leakage could be called Blue Paint.

It depends on whether she is recessive white, dominant white, or silver.

I'm going to make a guess and see how close I come...then tag @NatJ for expert opinion. (I just like to play at genetics while learning...trying to work through guesses helps me learn as I study and read).

Blue produces 50% blue and 50% black chicks as it manipulates the diluter for black. BUT I also know that white manipulates black.

If dominant white, I think you will have white chicks with black leakage like mom.
If recessive white or silver (which only addresses red), I think you will get 50% black, 50% blue.

But...I'm not sure I'd call her "white." If that's sort of a lavender(?)...I'm not sure yet as I haven't memorized lavender other than to know (think) it takes 2 lavender genes to make lavender. I'd think 50% blue and black again???

NatJ...how'd I do from memory?

LofMc
I think you did pretty well with listing the possibilities according to what genes she might have.

Here's my thoughts on the ones you listed but I didn't:

Recessive white doesn't allow any leakage, so the black on the hen rules out that possibility.

You're right that silver only affects red, so the black base color (E, Extended Black) from the father would be dominant over whatever e-locus gene the hen had, thus black and blue offspring if he's blue. To my eyes, the black blotches on the hen just aren't placed right for that explanation. I would expect black in the tail, not the middle of the back.

I don't think lavender can allow the black splotches, although you are correct about the inheritance of it: recessive, requires two lavender genes to be visible, so would not show in the chicks if the father did not have that gene.

Since OP said the rooster was "blue splash," I took that to mean two copies of the blue gene, which produces splash. If I misunderstood, then of course my answer will be wrong there. If he's actually blue, then you're right about his chicks being evenly split between blue and black (or for ones with Dominant White, it would be black leakage vs. blue leakage.)

And of course, *I* could be wrong on any or all of this too. I may have been learning it longer that you, but I still get stuck or make mistakes sometimes. ;) But listing the genes and the reasoning behind them does make it easier for us and others to check for obvious mistakes.

Back
Top Bottom