White and black spots on comb?!

haimlazy

Hatching
Feb 23, 2016
So this evening I went up to check on my chickens and my rooster's comb had black tips with a big white splotch. As I looked closer there was also this brown liquid on the front of his comb. He seems fit and healthy, and droppings are normal. Is this normal? Should I be worried?

Welcome to BYC -- can you take a photo (or two) of your rooster's comb so that we can see what you are seeing? Some of what you are describing could fall in the "nothing to worry about" category, but taken as a whole (specifically discharge you are describing) it is something I would want to have a better understanding of before advising any further, which is where seeing the things you are seeing will help.

Thank you for answering! Unfortunately since I am younger, and my parents are divorced I can only see my chickens once a week. I will get a photo as soon as possible.

Ok so i was lucky and quickly got a photo! When I came in the brown stuff on the front of the comb seemed more solid, and more like a crust. There is also some on the wattles which makes me wonder if its just droppings. The picture was taken just after it drank, so it looks more runny.

Welcome to BYC -- can you take a photo (or two) of your rooster's comb so that we can see what you are seeing? Some of what you are describing could fall in the "nothing to worry about" category, but taken as a whole (specifically discharge you are describing) it is something I would want to have a better understanding of before advising any further, which is where seeing the things you are seeing will help.
Alright i got an update. The black is more scratchy looking like a casing over the comb on some points, and the white has turned into more of a caramel color.

I think it may be frostbite. Not sure about the discharge it could have broke open and got infected. Any others have any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom