White Cornish: Building a Quality, Sustainable Flock for Meat and More.....

Pics
My random osmosis learning is starting to work... now I just got to get all the jargon down... between the scientists and all the sub groups of poultry breed jargon :he half the time I know what I mean but can't come up with the right words.

I really hope I can find a Cornish or two to add to the flock next. Probably will have to build a second coop though first. I think next spring will be best... but it all depends what I find at the feed stores.

I started with a meat flock, I love chicken and never get tired of it. The rest of the family.....not so much.
So then I transitioned to a primarily egg flock. My wife and mother in law sell the eggs. I get tickled at my mother in law she is 84,still works two days a week and is the ultimate hustler. These were the eggs I had to wash last night. I make sure any of the older folks I hear about get all they want no charge. We don't do enough for them. Now I'm on the process of building new pens to isolate my diffrent breeds. OCD finally kicked into overdrive and I want to start improving my birds. 20170614_205216.jpg

I love the Cornish,the orientals I'm going to start breeding towards SOP in the cornish and the barred rocks.
I'm also working with midget white turkeys,quail and ducks. I love the birds

And check this link out for a LFWC cockerel. It's not. Anyone care to guess why it isn't a LFWC.

I've never met FD in person. I only know of him from the forum. Based on his conversations I would buy his stock without reservation. You get what you pay for but unless you know what you're bjuying, you can get a whole lot less than what you're paying for.
No pea comb

JR that's a honk'n truck load of eggs man! Good on you for hook'n up the older folks for free....

No pea comb
Yup even as uneducated as I am about cornish I saw that right away and commented on it. Might be cornish x p. rock but definitely not 100% cornish. Now before I bought my first cornish I wouldn't have known the difference. If I hadn't purchased from a reputable breeder I could have came home with something like that. If you want cornish and FD is to far away(I'm currently trying to lure him to Dallas with promises of brisket, BB ribs, baked beans, etc,etc and beer, lots of beer like I have an artesian beer spring lots of beer) become part of the national cornish group and hook up with someone within the group. I did that. I purchased some of his birds that he grew out but now has decided he's not using them in his program for one reason or another. Are you kidding me? They may not be displaying what he want to see but they have the genetics to produce a better bird. I'm starting out on day 1 with 3 years of work behind these birds. They look like feathered tanks. I just need to hatch, grow out and eat a lot of chicken next fall.

I also need to build some more pens without my wife ever seeing them.

Back
Top Bottom