White Cornish: Building a Quality, Sustainable Flock for Meat and More.....

Pics
No crow collars are easy to make, 2"double sided Velcro cut into for long sections. Lift the feathers up around the neck, wrap the collar around (soft side in) so only the tip of a pinky can fit in there. Watch for an hour to make sure he's fine and adjust as necessary. Cheap and easy!

Thanks will rummage through the sowing supplies might have Velcro not sure about the size I have, but might have 2 inch if not I can get some easy. I can experiment on making them and fitting first on the hens for staying on and teaching myself the fitting process. That way I am set for the possibility of a boy down the road.

No crow collars are easy to make, 2"double sided Velcro cut into for long sections. Lift the feathers up around the neck, wrap the collar around (soft side in) so only the tip of a pinky can fit in there. Watch for an hour to make sure he's fine and adjust as necessary. Cheap and easy!

So how far above the crop should I shoot for. I have youngin starting to feel his oats and trying to sew some also. I want to volunteer him in addition to becoming a capon.

As low on the neck as possible. I've used 1.5" with success, as well as single sided sticky back stuck together. You could start off with it loose and tighten everyday until the crowing is muted - not stopped altogether! It should sound like a loud burp, same decibel as a conversation.

You can get the Velcro at Michael's, the double sided 2" is like $6/yd, but with a 50% off coupon it's $1 each collar. I just cut at each foot and round off the corners, super easy, cheap, washable, reusable, and they come in black and white!

Fat Daddy, you breed your own White Cornish, but do you slaughter cockerels when they crow?

I butcher most of my birds.... a give a few away to friends. And I sell very few..... last year I hatched and raised 75 Cornish. I kept 8 pullets and 6 cockerels as breeders. Gave away 4 to a friend, and sold less than 10. The rest I butchered.... but most were 18-20 weeks old when I butchered them. Cornish don't develop enough to evaluate proper at prime "fryer" age. So I let most of them have a bit longer and I like have'n them around anyway....

Back
Top Bottom