White Cornish: Building a Quality, Sustainable Flock for Meat and More.....

Pics
Holy Guacomole Batman!

They may as well be some super exotic hard to get smuggled in breed.

$152.00!

White Cornish egg prices are stupid high for any chicken. Much less a meat bird... Then factor in how fragile they are to ship and it's amazing anyone would buy them! Selling them on eBay made me feel like a bandit so I quit! This was the last egg auction I put up....
View attachment 1044354

On the egg shape, those remind me off my Dark EEs egg shape, she lays blue but a rounder egg compared to the other EE. I think crossing her with a D.C. would make a nice mutt.

IMG_1946.JPG

I can't say if that's a Cornish or not, more pointed that I was talking about. But I get eggs that look like they came from a Orpington too. What I was get'n at is Cornish will commonly lay eggs that it's tough to tell which is the small end, and eggs that are not symmetrical, Mis-shapen in some way.... these hatch just fine too. It seems I get more porous eggs with Cornish too....
TGP, after I stopped selling on eBay I priced my eggs at $40 a box and $18 shipping... That's still stupid high for a dozen eggs.... But it helps with the ones I send out for free. I still have a list of folks that want some. The ones in the turner pic above are going out Saturday and, if they hatch, will be the 18th new breeder of my birds this year... 434 eggs total from 12 hens.... that's not including the 60+ iv hatched myself.... number 19 is on deck for early next week.

I would order hatching eggs, but hubby would get to high strung worried about them being boys... so study study sexing of mutiple breeds so I can get something other than EEs. I agree a cross to the EEs would make for some nice chicks, I think it would improve feather quality and size, though the Dark EE has the best weight and feather in my opinion. The peacomb trait would not be compromised either. The light bird which has a blue gene seems to have and diluted in general has not as good feather quality, weight or size.

Vigor is important good breeding can retain it, poor breeding can ruin it... I think this is why the hybrids do better is sometimes for what ever reason the immune systems of breeds become compromised, probably becuase very few folks have breeding for that. So a mix up in the rubic's cube helps sometimes I guess.

Back
Top Bottom