White Cornish: Building a Quality, Sustainable Flock for Meat and More.....

Pics
20170706_195518.jpg

Thanks!
Then hopefully, I can convince them to let me keep at least one roo and one hen so that we don't have to buy more chicks next year!
Or even better, get the chicks now, from a hatchery if not from a feed store. let them grow, and hatch out replacements for the next year and eat all extras, leaving just enough to restock the next year. I would love that!

Zach,

Are you in high school yet? If so I would wander down to your AG Dept and talk to the Vo Ag/FFA advisor. As an Ag teacher myself, we can be very persuasive in helping you get a project going.

If you're not there yet I would suggest an active 4H club. A quality 4H club will have the suppport of the local extension representative. Get active with these organizations as appropriate and show your parents your commitment to educating yourself first.

If you want it bad enough you will find a way to be successful or if it isn't, a million excuses to explain your failure.
Learn from this forum and this thread. There is a Cornish group on FB. Submit a request to join and see if there are any members in your area. If so see if one will become your mentor.
You can ask for chickens or you can demonstrate to your parents you deserve them. It's hard for a parent to deny their child something they know they deserve.

Good luck. Continue to learn and have patience.

Thanks! I have been meaning to get into ffa, but don't really have the time or know where. I have other chickens and take care of all the animals, which are many, which is why my parents don't want more. But that is a good idea to make it a project so that they pretty much have to get me some! Now I just need to find the right contacts.....

FD I still can't believe you EAT them.

HA! I butchered so many last year that I put 10 thighs from last year on the smoker Tuesday! My first group of test eggs that hatched April 4th will be 14 weeks old Monday..... I plan to weigh up a couple this weekend and introduce them to cooler, quieter quarters... Egghead has a thread about home bred heritage crosses. I told him last year I'd would record what my birds weighed live and dressed at 14 weeks. He had set out target goal weights and times that i think my pure birds will hit, thou I don't remember now what the target weight was... I'm not sure the thread is still active. But I intend to keep my word to record and report all the same......

Back
Top Bottom