White Cornish: Building a Quality, Sustainable Flock for Meat and More.....

Pics
Originally there were 6 that insisted on sitting the same nest as a sister.... 3 nest of 12 eggs each. When I gave them each a clutch, I stopped collecting eggs, they were tapering off anyway. But within a week another two, different pens, started hoarding eggs and went broody too. I'm not sure how many they have...They are about a week behind. It was just to see how they do. Iv have always hatched all my chicks in the bators. These hens have never had interaction with their mothers, or even seen a day old chick..... everything these do is pure instinct at this point. I was their only care giver and they never even saw a adult till they were more than two months old. It's amazing to me just how little of being a good chicken mother is learned or imprinted..... Their instinct tells them what to do....

Originally there were 6 that insisted on sitting the same nest as a sister.... 3 nest of 12 eggs each. When I gave them each a clutch, I stopped collecting eggs, they were tapering off anyway. But within a week another two, different pens, started hoarding eggs and went broody too. I'm not sure how many they have...They are about a week behind. It was just to see how they do. Iv have always hatched all my chicks in the bators. These hens have never had interaction with their mothers, or even seen a day old chick..... everything these do is pure instinct at this point. I was their only care giver and they never even saw a adult till they were more than two months old. It's amazing to me just how little of being a good chicken mother is learned or imprinted..... Their instinct tells them what to do....

For this breed of chicken, what a good trait to have.

I thought I had an egg eater but I think based on all the nice eggs I am getting right now, those were accidental breakage... I got one hen I know keeps trying to brood.

Here's she.

IMG_2839.JPG

It makes me crazy too Dave.... Get real tired of try'n to convince a hen she ain't broody...

Last edited:
K

My wife is not that understanding. At 40+ chickens my wife put her foot down and said I couldn't buy any more chickens. Less than 48 hours later she's setting 30 some eggs I received in the mail. I reminded her she didn't say anything about eggs.
View attachment 1065494
:lau:lau I am dyin laughin here....what every man and woman wants to be reminded of, "you never said...." :he

Would you be wiling to ship fertile eggs or chicks to someone wanting to buy a few?

We can talk about eggs next spring. But my birds have shut down and my breeding season is mostly over..... I don't ship live birds anymore at all. It takes too much to do it legal. But if you find yourself in NE Kansas, I can fix you up.

How are they coming along? Any breakthroughs?

I had 9 chicks hatch from my broody girls. A high percentage of the eggs were not fertile. of the 9 that hatched. One was killed by one of her aunts. Two just disappeared completely. 6 are doing very well and seem to have blended with with the others.

Back
Top Bottom