White Cornish: Building a Quality, Sustainable Flock for Meat and More.....

Pics
All LFW Cornish have the same origin so all are related, some more, some less.

What are your goals. If your breeding to and trying to get closer to the SOP then select the best cockerel and 3 or four best pullets. Use them in the first breeding pen next year and eat the rest. Try to hatch at least 60 next year and figure on eating around 50 of those. At the most there will only be about a dozen worth saving and only about half of that will actually be good enough for your second pen.

During the second year the mothers get moved to the second pen containing their best son. The 3 or four best daughters go back to their father. I don't have anymore than that committed to memory but visit Marans of America for rest of this breeding program.

Keep your active breeder numbers small. I like the 2 pen program. With 3 pens I think compromises on quality are made just to fill that third pen. Hatch a ton and cull a ton. Genetics are like roulette. The more numbers played or hatched the more probability of getting a few that are really nice. I have 12 cockerels penned up for processing this coming weekend. Out of 20 cockerels I only have 3 right now that I like. It's all about numbers.

Ill get you some pics. Rained chased me in.
I’d like to stay SOP. Not for showing though. The roosters of the one seller have definitely grown faster and they are the younger. The hen of that seller is smaller than the hens of the other group but she’s 2 weeks younger. So it seemed best to mix the group. Going to hatch as many as I can.
I think I have 9 roosters and 4 hens. I also have 5 DC hens. Not a roo among them. That was frustrating.
Is the rain part of the storm from Florida? We just got 2 inches of rain left overs from Rosa. Majority of that came within an hour.
I like the keeping numbers small part. Sometimes it can get out of control. I’ll check the Marans group. Hope it’s not a FB thing.

All LFW Cornish have the same origin so all are related, some more, some less.

What are your goals. If your breeding to and trying to get closer to the SOP then select the best cockerel and 3 or four best pullets. Use them in the first breeding pen next year and eat the rest. Try to hatch at least 60 next year and figure on eating around 50 of those. At the most there will only be about a dozen worth saving and only about half of that will actually be good enough for your second pen.

During the second year the mothers get moved to the second pen containing their best son. The 3 or four best daughters go back to their father. I don't have anymore than that committed to memory but visit Marans of America for rest of this breeding program.

Keep your active breeder numbers small. I like the 2 pen program. With 3 pens I think compromises on quality are made just to fill that third pen. Hatch a ton and cull a ton. Genetics are like roulette. The more numbers played or hatched the more probability of getting a few that are really nice. I have 12 cockerels penned up for processing this coming weekend. Out of 20 cockerels I only have 3 right now that I like. It's all about numbers.

Ill get you some pics. Rained chased me in.

I have 2 young hens. I live not far from Dallas. I really need a white Cornish rooster. My chickens are about 5-6 months old. I would like to buy a young rooster from you. If it is for sale.

I have 2 young hens. I live not far from Dallas. I really need a white Cornish rooster. My chickens are about 5-6 months old. I would like to buy a young rooster from you. If it is for sale.

What are your goals? Showing or as a sustainable meat source? Show/breeder quality won't be available until December/january timeframe. A rooster just to create a sustainable meat source is available now. Most will be going to camp Kenmore this weekend.

Write in a personal address and when I can see the roosters

You won't be allowed on the premises. I will bring three for you to look at a nearby location for me. From that you can chose. If you're 1000% sure you not wanting to show then any of my culls will be more than adequate. They are culls because of folded back wings, combs that extend beyond the back of the eye or are too thick, narrow head. These are all major faults for showing but they will still sire a lot of chicks.

Ок,

It suits me, but this week my car is under repair. Could you accept paypal payment. As soon as my car is ready in the middle of the week, I will take the roosters

What are your goals? Showing or as a sustainable meat source? Show/breeder quality won't be available until December/january timeframe. A rooster just to create a sustainable meat source is available now. Most will be going to camp Kenmore this weekend.
You will have chicks available then? Do you ship? I'm in AZ and have been looking for reasonably priced eggs/chicks for a roaster NN project..

You will have chicks available then? Do you ship? I'm in AZ and have been looking for reasonably priced eggs/chicks for a roaster NN project..

I ship eggs and chicks in spring after I have satisfied my needs however until the P/T antigen shortage is resolved I'm not promising anything outside the state of Texas.

Just curious, what is an NN project.

Thank you, yes to the patience. I was mostly interested in learning the defaults than anything. Are the folded back wings wings that cross each other? Here’s the black spot several seem to have it yet in the same area. Again not yet six months old.
View attachment 1553631

If you enlarge the picture you'll see what I'm talking about when I say folded over or folded back wings. From what I'm seeing in my flock every Cornish seems to fold their wings over every once and awhile. What I'm looking for are the ones that constantly hold them in this position regardless of what is going on around them. Btw, all these are going to camp Kenmore this weekend.
IMAG0481.jpg

Back
Top Bottom