White Cornish: Building a Quality, Sustainable Flock for Meat and More.....

Pics
As in buying dogs and horses (at least) the initial cost is the DOWN PAYMENT, and feed and upkeep cost way more. Unless you pay $100 per chick, or six figures or more for a horse. :)
Mary

Not complaining, just stating :) so as far as buying chicks for straight production it’s not anywhere near financially doable... but investing in some breeding stock for a sustainable meat flock? Very much so! Considering I’m already looking at wintering a fairly large (40 birds or so, at least) flock of layers... and the shipping is 50% of the cost of the birds (on top!) to get them here, I’m not really worried about the costs of maintaining them. $25/day old chick, for clarity’s sake.

Not complaining, just stating :) so as far as buying chicks for straight production it’s not anywhere near financially doable... but investing in some breeding stock for a sustainable meat flock? Very much so! Considering I’m already looking at wintering a fairly large (40 birds or so, at least) flock of layers... and the shipping is 50% of the cost of the birds (on top!) to get them here, I’m not really worried about the costs of maintaining them. $25/day old chick, for clarity’s sake.
I would join some Cornish Facebook groups if I were you. DO NOT buy hatchery Cornish. In most cases, hatchery lines been bred for egg production rather than focusing on meat. Which means you won't get good quality meat from them.

I spent $150 for my trio 1.5 years ago from a breeder who bred for shows and I have no complaints about the meatiness of my birds. They are decent layers during the warm months but generally shut down production for during the hottest month of the year and during the late fall/winter.

@Kris5902

LFW cornish originated in the US from one flock/breeder. Genetic variability comes from what other 'genetic surprises' have been added as an attempt to create a shortcut to the SOP. LFW cornish are not available from commercial hatcheries.

The heritage cornish is a purely meat bird and the SOP is oriented to a long keeled deep breasted bird with a wide back and adequate bone to support those qualities. The closer the bird is to the SOP the more meat rye carcass will.carry. IF you know how to line and in breed and if you order enough hatchery darks within 3 generations you should have respectable birds showing potential.

Yes, I’m still looking for for the white Cornish here. I’ve found two sources of dark Cornish. I’m in western Canada. A local hatchery supplies a dark Cornish meat bird at $8/chick and another smaller breeder has them at $25/chick. I’m thinking the $25 ones are probably a better place to start for keeping to the SOP, but I’m also not terribly worried about adherence. (I’m going to be mostly eating and selling them, not showing) I’m also looking at some Bresse as well.

Yes, I’m still looking for for the white Cornish here. I’ve found two sources of dark Cornish. I’m in western Canada. A local hatchery supplies a dark Cornish meat bird at $8/chick and another smaller breeder has them at $25/chick. I’m thinking the $25 ones are probably a better place to start for keeping to the SOP, but I’m also not terribly worried about adherence. (I’m going to be mostly eating and selling them, not showing) I’m also looking at some Bresse as well.
I would try to stick as close to SOP as you can, even if you don't show. They will sell for more and sell more easily if they are closer to show quality.

I would try to stick as close to SOP as you can, even if you don't show. They will sell for more and sell more easily if they are closer to show quality.

Eating and selling *as meat*... I should have specified that! I still want to keep good stock and close to the SOP for each breed, but I’m not opposed to having some mutt meat birds either. Once they are parted up most consumers can’t tell a difference, sadly, but some can recognize a generally superior product.

Not necessarily. At a 1 to 3 ratio and without having any cornish at the moment I would go with the hatchery darks particularly if the goal is primarily meat. Like I previously stated if sufficient numbers are purchased, even hatchery stock can become respectable in 3 generations. Even the best quality stock will throw more culls than quality stock. This book is all about what I'm referring to. Having quality stock doesn't require breaking the bank although many will try to convince you otherwise.
7.png
Available from American Bantam Association. $10.00.

I have 25 chickens. Some are lavender Orpingtons, blue orpingtons, blue Marans, and mixed. I have processed chickens many times and want to do much more of it. I would like to get white chickens and am thinking of Bresse or white Cornish, neither of which I have had, altho I have bought Cornish X chicks before and raised them for broilers. They are too expensive and we want to get parent stock so we can hatch our own broilers. Have any of you raised Bresse? They are said to produce delicious, tender meat.

Back
Top Bottom