White Crested drake x various breeds

Chikyboy

Bantam Cochin Collector
Oct 14, 2021
Nebraska
So I'm thinking about getting some ducks in the future, and I would like to get a white crested drake over various hens. What would the ducklings look like? I really want the colors of the moms, but dad's crest. I know I would probably have to breed for multiple generations to get exactly what I want, but how would the F1s look like?
Here are the hens I'm thinking of:
Mallard
Khaki Campbell
Cayuga
Welsh Harliquin
Thanks!

Okay, so I don’t know what genetics are hiding under your crested’s recessive white. It could be anything.
But when I bred a crested with my black Runners I discovered he was mallard based with a blue gene. Possibly the extended black gene also, it’s hard to tell.
Again, yours might have two blue genes, or none.
It’s impossible to guess what colors he is hiding, so you will just have to find out.
You will have a 50 percent chance of crests.

Okay, so I don’t know what genetics are hiding under your crested’s recessive white. It could be anything.
But when I bred a crested with my black Runners I discovered he was mallard based with a blue gene. Possibly the extended black gene also, it’s hard to tell.
It’s impossible to guess what colors he is hiding, so you will just have to find out.
Thanks, was wondering if the white was dominant or recessive. How big would the crests be on the ones that do have crests?

Thanks, was wondering if the white was dominant or recessive. How big would the crests be on the ones that do have crests?

I don’t know. Depends on its father’s crest size. But probably smaller than the father’s.

Did you end up trying these crosses? I have an all Cayuga flock at the moment and was considering adding crested and buffs to get some crests in color.

Back
Top Bottom