white from blue...what???

Quote:
white+black= blue

splash+slash= splash

black+splash= blue

Blue+blue= 25% black 25% slash, 50% blue
big_smile.png

does this mean you can breed white roo or hen to a black and get blue? Genetics confuse me!!! Or only if they are carrying a certain gene?

No, please go back and read the other replies.

pips&peeps :

Quote:
does this mean you can breed white roo or hen to a black and get blue? Genetics confuse me!!! Or only if they are carrying a certain gene?

No, please go back and read the other replies.​

I bred black Ameraucanas to black, and got some white. They were recessive. Bred to each other, they will only breed white. White recessive lurks in a lot of chicken breeds....

Sue

Quote:
It clearly came from a BBS pen and I suppose it could be a light/clean splash..
lol.png
..as I have no idea what that would look like. What I can tell you

is it was more of a cream color when it hatched and the new feathers came in white. I can find no splash markings on it not even faint. I'll add a

picture the chick in question is the white silkie with the pink comb on the left, the blue in the center hatched with it...the showgirl on the right

was one I added from my SG flock.

67762_undiehollysugar.jpg

This is one of the splash chicks from that same hatch

67762_domino.jpg

Thanks, Suz

Quote:
Yep, that would be from your blacks carrying one copy of Rec White. And like you said, most solid White Breeds are recessive. White Leghorns, Hatchery RIWhites, and some gamefowl are the only solid ones I can think of that are Dominant White ( with the additon of Sexlinked Silver in some of them) And then White in Gold patterned birds is Dominant as well. ( such as Red Pyle, Buff Laced, White tailed Red Columbian, ect....)

Quote:
It clearly came from a BBS pen and I suppose it could be a light/clean splash..
lol.png
..as I have no idea what that would look like. What I can tell you

is it was more of a cream color when it hatched and the new feathers came in white. I can find no splash markings on it not even faint. I'll add a

picture the chick in question is the white silkie with the pink comb on the left, the blue in the center hatched with it...the showgirl on the right

was one I added from my SG flock.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/67762_undiehollysugar.jpg

This is one of the splash chicks from that same hatch

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/67762_domino.jpg

Thanks, Suz

I would say it does look White.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom