White leghorn brown eggs

ssdailey

Hatching
Feb 11, 2016
Augusta, GA
I have a white leghorn hen who's about 8-9 months old. She got sick in January and almost died and I managed to bring her back again. She's been outside and which the other chickens for months now. I've been waiting for her to finally start laying and she finally has. I found 1 egg in a flower bed one day and today she got comfy in the nesting box. Now I know that egg in the flower bed was hers! However I'm confused why she is laying small light brown eggs instead of large white eggs??

Can you post a picture of her? My guess is that she is most likely a white rock. What color are her earlobes - red or white?

Where did you get her? Why do you think she is a white leghorn?

There are a lot of different breeds of chickens that are white and there are a lot of mixed breed chickens that are white. Many of these can and do lay brown eggs. When a pullet first starts to lay the eggs are often pretty small compared to what they will eventually be. They gradually get bigger. I realize since she was sick her timing is probably off.

There are two things for sure that say she is not a leghorn. She is laying a brown egg and her earlobes are red. A leghorn’s ear lobes should be white.

She may be a different breed, she may be a mixed breed chicken, but she is not a leghorn.

We got her and some of her siblings from our friends family owned farm down the street from our house. She does her best to keep her chickens separated. She has a large coop with breeds devided into rooms. Her siblings have the white earlobes

Where did you get her? Why do you think she is a white leghorn?

There are a lot of different breeds of chickens that are white and there are a lot of mixed breed chickens that are white. Many of these can and do lay brown eggs. When a pullet first starts to lay the eggs are often pretty small compared to what they will eventually be. They gradually get bigger. I realize since she was sick her timing is probably off.

There are two things for sure that say she is not a leghorn. She is laying a brown egg and her earlobes are red. A leghorn’s ear lobes should be white.

She may be a different breed, she may be a mixed breed chicken, but she is not a leghorn.

X 2 - sounds like there was a bit of a mixup somewhere along the way - either way you have a happy, healthy bird who is producing some lovely brown eggs.

Back
Top Bottom