White leghorn & chick breed help

It makes me sad, but we are lucky that we have friends that can process her and put her to good use. I just can’t do it myself. 😫
Its very hard to put down a animal. I could never even cull one, my friend is kind enough to assist me with it.
Your doing the right thing.

Thank you for all of your responses! So we had plans to put her down Saturday and woke up to an egg! Collected it, went back outside- another egg. That evening went outside to put her up- another egg. She laid 3 eggs in 48 hours and another this morning. Is it possible she’s not a Cornish cross? I told my husband she literally saved her own life. Must have overhead us and was like oh heck no I’m going to be productive now!

Side note- she’s my only adult in the coop right now, so no chance it was someone else.

Attachments

• A4C67FEB-4237-435D-8C95-C48ABC6967B1.jpeg
    A4C67FEB-4237-435D-8C95-C48ABC6967B1.jpeg
    488.6 KB · Views: 4
She's a CX. No doubt about it. It takes 24 hours to make an egg. So she was either retaining them, or someone else is laying and you're not aware.

She's a CX. No doubt about it. It takes 24 hours to make an egg. So she was either retaining them, or someone else is laying and you're not aware.
She must be retaining them because she is the only chicken in the big coop. She just laid another so she’s given us 4 eggs since Saturday. 😊

Thank you for all of your responses! So we had plans to put her down Saturday and woke up to an egg! Collected it, went back outside- another egg. That evening went outside to put her up- another egg. She laid 3 eggs in 48 hours and another this morning. Is it possible she’s not a Cornish cross? I told my husband she literally saved her own life. Must have overhead us and was like oh heck no I’m going to be productive now!

Side note- she’s my only adult in the coop right now, so no chance it was someone else.
Since she isn’t suffering, I see no reason to cull her if you don’t want to… I would recommend reading through this thread to learn more about how a cornish x can live a normal life:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/experimenting-with-a-few-meat-birds-as-pets.1449592/.

Since she isn’t suffering, I see no reason to cull her if you don’t want to… I would recommend reading through this thread to learn more about how a cornish x can live a normal life:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/experimenting-with-a-few-meat-birds-as-pets.1449592/.
This was so helpful! We switched up her diet to limit food. She has always been the happiest, sweetest chicken who follows me around like a shadow. She’s the best layer too! She averages 5-6 eggs a week and this week gave me 2 super eggs! I’m so glad we kept her around. I swear if my husband would allow an indoor chicken it would be her.

Attachments

• 64CDE518-13AD-4B97-B2F5-B6EA5E8B4CBC.jpeg
    64CDE518-13AD-4B97-B2F5-B6EA5E8B4CBC.jpeg
    408.2 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom