WatkinsCluckers

Chirping
Mar 2, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
Hi!
today I noticed one of my Silkie’s bum area looked a little off. Sometimes with my Silkies when they poop it leaves little residue on the very tip of the fuzzy bum hair (assuming that’s it’s because of all that hair and it doesn't just plop straight down?) but hers had a white mucus coming out from her and her rectal area looked more “wet” than any of my other chickens. I took her inside to wash it off and she went on the ground and looked ok, but it had the same mucus that was on her backside. Any idea?
She’s about 22 weeks and hasn’t started laying. I did notice that when one of my other Silkies started squaring up with her, she squatted. Would that be a sign of laying or the issue above?

Attachments

• 6AF001CA-7EBF-460C-9595-614E97FDDA95.jpeg
    6AF001CA-7EBF-460C-9595-614E97FDDA95.jpeg
    453.8 KB · Views: 11
Sorry no ones answered you yet. I see you're from Texas; has the weather been hot? I'm no poo expert but I think she's just excreting extra water. Do you have an update on her? Any change in poo consistency or her behavior?
Thank you! Yes, it's been super hot. I cleaned her vent when I posted this and I haven't noticed it bad again, so that is nice. I do notice when I pick her up that she just squats, which is weird for her because she normally likes to run away. Do you think that has something related to the above situation? Note that none of them have started laying yet!

Thank you! Yes, it's been super hot. I cleaned her vent when I posted this and I haven't noticed it bad again, so that is nice. I do notice when I pick her up that she just squats, which is weird for her because she normally likes to run away. Do you think that has something related to the above situation? Note that none of them have started laying yet!
Does she lay? If she doesn't yet she will soon. Squatting means she's maturing. It's a posture for the rooster to breed.

At 22 weeks that means she's reaching maturity. Mature laying hens will often instinctively squat in preparation for being mounted. For some the instinct is much stronger than others. Usually they will starting laying within the week they start squatting so congrats on the eggs in your very near future!

Back
Top Bottom