White yellow legged Old English Game bantams.

Gladiator

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 1, 2011
Last week I was given a beautyful black breasted lemon hackled red black legged old english game male bantam. The owner couldnt keep it no more because somebody called the city inspector. Never had bantams before, but I have to admit that this one has already worked its sharm on me. I would like to know if anybody knows how much would it cost to get an adult white feathered, yellow legged old english game female bantam. The hen must be homozygous(pure) for the white color and the yellow legs. I intend to cross it with my red in orther to get hens as close as possible to the red's line in the third generation.
wink.png

Thanks.

Thanks for the responce ! Can you tell me if there is any other leg color among OEGB and weder it is dominat or rescecive to black ?

Thanks !

Quote:
OK, got to ask what is a, " black breasted lemon hackled red black legged old english game male bantam"
Do you have a picture.

Chris

Quote:
OK, got to ask what is a, " black breasted lemon hackled red black legged old english game male bantam"
Do you have a picture.

Chris

Currently I don't have a picture but I can take one and publish it tomorrow. The only problem is that since I'm new, I'm not aloud to post pictures or links. I'm sorry for the confucion, I've never had Old English Game Bantams before and I'm using terminologies that aply to American Games I guess. Is just a regular black breasted red miniature cock. The neck feathers are of a yellowish color(which is refered to as "lemmon" in Americam Games) The legs look black to me, or I guess I could also say dark green. It was given to me because the owner could not keep it anymore. I like it a lot and I would like to replicate a female as close to his aparience as possible. I was hopping that there was a white yellow legged strain among OEGB to do the cross, but I guess there is no such thing. Does anybody happen to know if there is any other color of leg among OEGB ?

Quote:
Do you have a picture.

Chris

Currently I don't have a picture but I can take one and publish it tomorrow. The only problem is that since I'm new, I'm not aloud to post pictures or links. I'm sorry for the confucion, I've never had Old English Game Bantams before and I'm using terminologies that aply to American Games I guess. Is just a regular black breasted red miniature cock. The neck feathers are of a yellowish color(which is refered to as "lemmon" in Americam Games) The legs look black to me, or I guess I could also say dark green. It was given to me because the owner could not keep it anymore. I like it a lot and I would like to replicate a female as close to his aparience as possible. I was hopping that there was a white yellow legged strain among OEGB to do the cross, but I guess there is no such thing. Does anybody happen to know if there is any other color of leg among OEGB ?

This is a Black Breasted Red cockbird, or more commonly called a BB Red...
5785.jpg
They have white legs. The only varieties of oegb that have black legs are black, brown red and birchen. There are a few more that call for leaden black, or blue to leaden black.

GotGame.

Thanks for the tip. It look like I'm not concidered a newbe no more since I was able to post an avatar. Didn't realiced sooner. therefore, tomorrow I will try posting a picture of the cock. The hackle feathers are much lighter in color than the one you posted on the picture; is what we would call in american games a lemon color. Is very tiny and the tail is not as developed. The legs look black to me or lets just say dark.

My intention was to get a female as different in colors as possible, to use the two color aspects (feather & leg colors) to diferenciate as much as possible, the birds that will contain the blood of the cock, and descard the ones that will be closer to the blood of the hen in the F2 generation, so I can get birds as Homozygous pure as possible to the line of the cock. For instance, if I cros a white(homozygous rescecive) yellow legged(homozygous dominant) hen with a black breasted(homozygous dominant) dark or green legged(homozygous rescecive) cock, the F1 generation should be all Black breasted and yellow legged(heterozygous for the two color traits) birds. If I cross this F1 generation birds among them selves, I should get on the F2 generation, white, black or green legged birds, white, yellow legged birds, black breasted red, yellow legged and finaly the desired black breasted red, black legged birds that I would breed back to the cock and I should get from then on birds that breed true to color and the line of the cock.

I don't know much about OEGB. This little bird of mine may not be the most perfect of OEGB birds, but I like it a lot and would like to get some other birds like it for my own pleasure; not realy looking into showing OEGBs; however I may get enthusiastic about it in the future. I would welcome any comments as to the conformation of the bird is concerned. I would like to know the honest opinion of the OEGB experst about anything they have to say regarding the bird when I post the picture tomorrow.

Got Game; I have a question about the white legs. Are they dominant or rescecive to black legs ? I know that white is dominant over yellow and yellow over black or green in american games, but I've never known anything about the white over black deal. If you or anybody hapen to know, please make me wise.
wink.png

By the way, the bird you posted on the picture looks gorgeous !
thumbsup.gif

Thanks to all for your input.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Why not try a Brown red hen under that cock bird and save several steps. that would introduce the Partridge pattern to the Brown red, and maintain the dark leg color you are looking to achieve. This may actually be what you have anyway if someone used a BB red to improve something on thier Brown Red.

Not the best pic but should give you a decent idea of brown red.
30249_br5.jpg

Quote:
Ok. Here is the picture of the OEGB that was given to me. The lemon or light red hackle feathers have also some black lines with in them. I don't think this could be apreciated in the picture. Also 2 of the pictures are not very good.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/98384_p1030324.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/98384_p1030335.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/98384_p1030332.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/98384_p1030333.jpg

Quote:
Why not try a Brown red hen under that cock bird and save several steps. that would introduce the Partridge pattern to the Brown red, and maintain the dark leg color you are looking to achieve. This may actually be what you have anyway if someone used a BB red to improve something on thier Brown Red.

Not the best pic but should give you a decent idea of brown red.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/30249_br5.jpg

The problem is that I would like to get kind of an exact replica only of the blood of that especific cock. The more differences the hen have, the closer I will know I'm to the blood of the cock on the F2 generation. I just want to complitely discard the blood of the hen as much as possible and get, out of the cros, a hen that is true to the blood of the cock in as much aspects as possible. If I use a hen that resamble the cock, it will be virtualy inpossible to determine which ofprings are of the cock blood. Not realy looking forward to inprove the line at this moment, but if I get more serious later on about the OEGB I will take your advice. Actualy the bird in your picture resemble mine in the hackle feathers color a little.

Thanks for the tip. Do you know if white legs are dominant over black ?

Back
Top Bottom