Whitewash the Inside Of Your Coop: Recipe, Cheap and Easy

How far does a gallon of whitewash go? I'll have enough hydrated lime for all of eternity, should I plan to make several gallons for the interior of my coop? It's 8x6. (Not my coop, but the same model.)

How far does a gallon of whitewash go? I'll have enough hydrated lime for all of eternity, should I plan to make several gallons for the interior of my coop? It's 8x6. (Not my coop, but the same model.)

@Tooshay89, what a great design! Lovely!

My coop is 4x5x maybe a five foot ceiling, so less than yours. All of it got whitewashed, including the henboxes, just not the floor though...

I made 1 gallon and had at least a third left over.

My best guess for you is two gallons. YMMV. You can make one gallon (or half a gallon) at a time and see how you like it. I did do two coats with that one gallon, as it turned out, But! it was the first coat over new wood.

For ALL ETERNITY! You crack me up!
gig.gif

There ARE other (off-label) uses for that lime, in the garden tho
big_smile.png

But! Remember this! I will deep clean my coop this time next year. After you wash the walls down, it is traditional to whitewash again at that time, and once a year thereafter! Hope this helps...

Last edited:
Awesome! I was hoping I wouldn't have to make a huge amount to get it done. I'm so excited for the girls to move into this coop once it's complete. If Fedex gets here in a timely manner with the lime, I might be able to get it all done on Thursday!

That's so awesome! I grew up in Ocala! My husband and I moved to Orlando for a short stint and now because of our business, were in Lake County. Gainesville is an awesome place. The oaks mall was my go-to hang out spot as a teen :)

So cute!! I love the golden buffs. I have two (I think, if golden buffs also go by Golden Comets or Sex-links, lol) and they're just the friendliest birds. And HUGE! (The front pullet is one of my Golden Comets)

Back
Top Bottom