Whitish film on eggs after cleaning - how to avoid this?

honeydoll

Songster
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
Stark County, NE Ohio
I sell my eggs so I need to keep them looking nice. Some of my hens are sleeping in the nesting boxes because of this there is poo in the nesting boxes in the morning. SOme of my hens lay very early, earlier than I get out to change the hay in the nest box, so I end up with some eggs covered in poo. I have to wash them, I use a paper towel and some water only to get the poo off. Here is my problem, after I wash them I dry them and put them in the egg carton. Where they sit in the egg carton, there is a whitish film, or discoloring on them. Like a water stain on a table from a wet cup. How do I avoid this? It makes the eggs look like they are bad, and I sell so this is an issue.

Please tell me how to avoid this. We have well water, could it be the the minerals in it?

Thanks

Carolyn

you can buy a special 'egg wash' liquid, i found this prevents the eggs looking 'dull' and gives a nice shiney gleam to them

I used to gently wash my eggs under lukewarm water with a bath scrunchie that had a little olive oil in it. Gave the eggs a coating that was not slippery or sticky, but made the "frosted" look go away. But then someone said the oil wasn't good cause it might get through the shell. I don't know, so I quit. Not gonna take chances when selling eggs.

Back
Top Bottom