Who else is waiting for that first egg?

I feel dumb every time I hit the reply button instead of the quote button. Please see my previous post right above this post :)

D.gif

At what age should they begin to lay?
Mine were born april 20th give or take
Inexplicably dumb (me, not you). See my two prior posts right above this one. LOL

Love this thread. I'm also waiting for that first egg, I have a little wait time yet.
My flock:
5 EE'S 15 weeks old
5 Barred Rocks 9 weeks old
4 RIRS 9 weeks old
Sadly I had to have my one of my RIRs put down, she had injured her leg somehow, not broken. And she did all she could to keep up with the other free ranging girls and just kept re-injuring it. My fault and a hard lesson to learn , but as soon as I noticed her limping I should have put her in a cage so she could heal, but I waited too long to do that and there was no way for it to heal. I feel so bad, she was perfectly healthy, but just couldn't walk . :(

They didn't act any differently. I found them right under one of the roosts. Like they were taking a mid morning nap and the eggs just dropped right out. I've been putting extra straw down under the roosts just incase this happened. One of my girls was playing in the overgrown pasture next to my property in the afternoon and I heard her doing an egg song, but I'm never going to be able to find that egg if she did lay one. 
mine started squawking(egg song i guess its called) we can hear all the time! But i love it!

mine started squawking(egg song i guess its called) we can hear all the time! But i love it!
I thought it was going to grab both matteonl and you! I think every ones birds will be different...I love this site and everyone on it you learn something new every time.

My six chicks are only 10 weeks so I have a while to wait for eggs!! They are my first chickens, and I'm loving this adventure!

I'm in the same boat. Mine are only 7 weeks old. I have a way to go. Lol
Loving all the info on here!I'm also half tempted to get some layers, because of the threat of egg pricing. Even if it's just 2, I'd be happy!
I have 3- white leghorns
3- brown (from local co-op)
4- Special Back
all from our local co-op. Wish I knew more about the black and brown hens...

We are still waiting for our original flock to lay- we have 4 Buff Orpington hens and 1 roo. They're just now 16 weeks. I understand they are late layers, so I'm guessing we have a few more weeks yet. They are awfully big though and 2 have pretty red combs and wattles (nothing on the other 2).

We just got another 3 RIR ladies (in trade for 3 unruly roos) and have already seen 2 eggs since their arrival- one the next day and one yesterday. SO exciting!! Can't wait for ALL the ladies to start laying! The first egg:

Back
Top Bottom