Who else is waiting for that first egg?

Hi all new here and have questions.

I'm waiting for my chickens to lay that first egg. When I purchased them a week ago I was told they were laying but so far nothing. I checked the pelvic bones and two of them I can get 2 finger between the pelvic bones but the other 3 only one finger. First how long after 2 fingers fit between the pelvic bones should they lay and secondly how long will it take for the others to open enough to lay? Third and final is the pelvic bone method reliable?

Thanks
Rodney

It's finally here! One of my 18 week old barred rocks laid her first! She's been squatting for about a week and first took an interest in a nesting box yesterday evening. She laid this sometime this late morning/ early afternoon! Now I have three others squatting whenever I get near them so I know they're next!

It's finally here! One of my 18 week old barred rocks laid her first! She's been squatting for about a week and first took an interest in a nesting box yesterday evening. She laid this sometime this late morning/ early afternoon! Now I have three others squatting whenever I get near them so I know they're next!

Congratulations - what a beautiful, perfect little egg!!!

So so so exciting! I'm so thankful for this forum because my non chicken friends just don't understand!
1f601.png

I hear you! I think some friends think I've gone off the deep end. Whenever someone asks about my chickens I try to contain myself and say "oh I love my chickens" if they pursue I'll continue!

I hear you! I'm nuts about chickens. It is my husband's fault. He bought a coop while I was out of town. After losing two chickens to a possum, he and I have built a new stronger coop and run. I'm buying two ( or three) more pullets to add to our lone survivor.
I can see it in people's eyes that they don't get it. Too bad for them.

Back
Top Bottom