Who else is waiting for that first egg?

We have 2 hens out of 6 laying right now. One's been laying for a while and one just started. Waiting for the EE to start laying, I can't wait to see what color her eggs are.

We have 2 hens out of 6 laying right now. One's been laying for a while and one just started. Waiting for the EE to start laying, I can't wait to see what color her eggs are.
Right? With the price of eggs...all 6 would be nice! I was looking for blue egg layers. I didn't research and thought they all laid blue eggs. I'm fairly certain one of mine is laying a pink one. I'll only know if I see 2 blue eggs the same day!

The EE is my middle son's chicken and he really wants her to lay pink. We'll have to see! Luckily I can get eggs from the farm next door for $2 a dozen but yeah it'd be nice to not have to buy them anymore.

I have 3 ee's or americanas and 2 lay blue and 1 lays green. The barred rocks and Rhode Island red lay the pink eggs. Well I have 2 of each and one of each lays a pink and the other a brown... goofs

These 2 of my hold outs that I don't expect to lay this year... they are about 28/29 weeks and are definitely pullets but neither seem in much of a hurry to lay... ah well I guess we'll just keep on waiting for that first egg from them..
fl.gif
barnie.gif
rant.gif

These 2 of my hold outs that I don't expect to lay this year... they are about 28/29 weeks and are definitely pullets but neither seem in much of a hurry to lay... ah well I guess we'll just keep on waiting for that first egg from them..:fl :barnie :rant
I know the feeling. I have 1 in my flock that is holding out. Not 100% on who but I've narrowed it down to my small rir or my big br. I spend a lot of time with then an have never seen either of them in the boxes. But out of 4 brown layers I got 3 brown ones today (well 1 brown 1 peachy and 1 powder pink-maybe a first time lay?) so that leaves one girl being stubborn.

My 17-week-old minxes are a ways off yet. I have 2 EEs and 1 each Lt Brahma, Australorp, GLW, White Rock, and Dominique. No squatting except occasionally from the Dom (and she may simply be eluding my petting but she did lift up her wings at the same time a time or two). No egg song practice. The White Rock let me pet her today, something she has not been into for the past couple of months. I think I am grasping at straws trying to see a sign, though.

I opened up the nesting boxes last week and for 2 days the boxes were undisturbed. The next day I caught them tentatively looking. And each day since, the three nesting boxes in sequence have been semi-trashed. By that I mean the special bedding (chopped hay-straw mix with some herbs added) has been partially removed to the floor of the coop and the wooden eggs rearranged. I can't tell if they are getting in there and messing them up or doing it all from the ground (the missing "nest" materials are to the front). Good sign or insignificant?

Should I put out oyster shells now or wait til they are closer to laying?

Thanks for any advice. I'm so jealous of all the pretty eggs you guys are getting!

I got my first "egg" today. My young gals all turned 18 weeks old today. And I got a very small, shelless egg that dropped (and broke) while they were roosting last night night. I have no idea which girl laid it. They are all different breeds and none of them look ready to lay... No enlarged red comb and wattles, no squatting. Could it have been an accidental early misfire?

I owe my EE's a sincere apology! One of them laid a BLUE EGG! Finally! I'm still convinced the beardless one is laying the small pink eggs, but now I have hope that the 3rd EE might lay blue as well.. Here's my haul for the last 5 days. 4 or 5 hens laying now. BO's and EE's. 25 weeks. Next batch of 4 are 19 weeks now, SLW, Delaware, Cuckoo Marans and Australorp then 5 more are 15 weeks. GLW, Splash Marans Lav Orpv and white marans. I can't wait to start sharing beautiful eggs with friends! We have an egg shortage here in CA due to new laws. Stores are limiting purchases and running out. Eggs are $5. for 18!

Pretty! I wish your Lav Orp was laying! I have 7 that are 18 weeks and don't think any are ready yet, but I'll explain more in my next post with pic...
I got my first "egg" today. My young gals all turned 18 weeks old today. And I got a very small, shelless egg that dropped (and broke) while they were roosting last night night. I have no idea which girl laid it. They are all different breeds and none of them look ready to lay... No enlarged red comb and wattles, no squatting. Could it have been an accidental early misfire?
Not unusal, but you have one that is about ready to start, whether they look it or not!

smile.png

Back
Top Bottom