Who else is waiting for that first egg?

Our wait is complete! One of our Welsummer hens left us our first medium brown, dark speckled egg this afternoon. :celebrate It was also our first half dozen day! 5 eggs from the Buff girls that are now all mature and our first Welsummer egg. The Wellie girls are 24 weeks old and started laying a little over two weeks (I think) after the Buff Orpingtons started laying. Now we have one more Mature Wellie that needs to start paying rent and the 6 younger hens to just get older and start laying. They are anywhere from 3 to 5 weeks behind the hens that are now laying. Picture to follow as soon as DH gets it uploaded and on line for me! Now if the goofy roosters would just start doing something useful to pay rent besides crow and.....well, do what roosters are best at doing! P.S. Here is the picture of our First Welsummer egg with two little Buff Orpington offerings. I was surprised at how much larger the Wellie egg was than the Buff O's.
Are they on your dog's belly? Lol what are they laying on?

lau.gif
Like I could get one of our dogs to lie still long enough for me to lay three eggs on their bellies without the eggs winding up IN their bellies!
lau.gif

No, in all honesty, I laid them on an antelope pelt that my husband gave me for Christmas one year and is one of our cat's favorite places to nap. I think it's a Springbok pelt.

:lau Like I could get one of our dogs to lie still long enough for me to lay three eggs on their bellies without the eggs winding up IN their bellies!:lau

No, in all honesty, I laid them on an antelope pelt that my husband gave me for Christmas one year and is one of our cat's favorite places to nap. I think it's a Springbok pelt.

Lol that's what I thought. How'd they get that doggie to sit still and not eat them eggs.

We got our first duck egg. It is from the year old girl I got to keep our drakes from fighting. Not our ducklings from this year but still super cool
1f424.png
1f600.png

Last edited:
My pullets are 19 weeks, I pet one of them yesterday and she promptly squatted (eek! Yay!) So exciting (or is it eggciting?) Moved the nesting boxes into the coop, complete with plastic eggs, and I'm officially on egg watch! Truthfully I have been checking for eggs for the last month though.

Last edited:
My girls are a good 6 months old. RIRs and Dominiques. They have been showing all the signs reddened combs, egg song singing, the Roo has been having his way with them but still no eggs. My Dorkings are about three or four weeks younger than the others so I'm not counting on them yet either. I'm soooo ready for some eggs. I don't know what they are waiting for.

Last edited:
I was not really expecting eggs from my ducks this year, but I got a surprise this morning!! Yeah!! She is almost 24 weeks old. I was told that she may or may not lay this year, so when I noticed the egg this morning, I was thrilled. Then I found another one behind a boulder, so I have 2 duck eggs!!
celebrate.gif

Not an egg, but... my almost 22 wk old Welsummer dropped what appears to be an egg yolk under her roost last night. Hopefully, this is a normal part of her body starting to amp up to lay an ACTUAL egg??? Anyone have any experience with this? She looks totally ready to lay, which is why assume the "yolk" is from her and not one of my other, less mature-looking hens.

Not an egg, but... my almost 22 wk old Welsummer dropped what appears to be an egg yolk under her roost last night. Hopefully, this is a normal part of her body starting to amp up to lay an ACTUAL egg??? Anyone have any experience with this? She looks totally ready to lay, which is why assume the "yolk" is from her and not one of my other, less mature-looking hens.

There was probably albumen with the yolk too. Very common to get shell-less or soft shelled eggs to start. As long as you are giving her layer feed, or some oyster shell, it will harden up soon! Congrats!!

Back
Top Bottom