Who else is waiting for that first egg?

I'm in the UK, I got it from a Farmer's Market.

awe, nuts!!! I would love to have one of those....
1f62f.png

I am devastated . A friend of my mom's came over yesterday and seems to think we have 5 roosters and one hen (I thought for sure we had 5 hens and one rooster). I posted a pic of them several weeks ago on BYC and I was told I was correct. Now I am not sure! Week 22/23 no eggs. If I can get this to work, I will post pics and maybe someone here can help me figure out what I have!

I am devastated . A friend of my mom's came over yesterday and seems to think we have 5 roosters and one hen (I thought for sure we had 5 hens and one rooster). I posted a pic of them several weeks ago on BYC and I was told I was correct. Now I am not sure! Week 22/23 no eggs. If I can get this to work, I will post pics and maybe someone here can help me figure out what I have!

Honestly, without pics, I can tell you if you had 5 roosters at 23 weeks old you would know by now. They would be fighting and your 1 hen would be so overrated she would not be there anymore. I honestly believe without seeing pics, that you are correct with 1 roo and 5 hens.

They aren't fighting at all. I even put a rescued , older rooster in with them in June. None fight with him either. I wish I had a better way to post pics. My data sucks here in the boonies

Take and post a current photo - many folks misinterpret the comb/wattle development of a pullet approaching the point of lay and take it to indicate being a cockerel.

. These are from my 16 week old 2nd generation Black Stars. I hatched them in May of this year. There are 10 pullets and I got these five eggs yesterday. I was so pleased. I figured it would be next month before I started seeing any eggs from them.

Desert rocks: the one I suspect is a roo does this thing where it quietly struggles to go "rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrruh" . Sounds almost like a chicken growl. I *thought* I heard one of my ladies quietly trying to do that the other day also. I tried to post a pic. But BYC mobile and crappy data it just won't do it. I will try to remember to post a pic when I get to work today. I can use their wifi.

Last edited:
The growl sound I have found to be fairly common amongst the pullets. I have 23 BSL'a that are at 20 weeks and no eggs yet but it has been over 100 degrees for the last 3 months so I am happy at this point not to have lost anyone. We have an Australorp cockerel who is only 2 weeks older than them and has Bernoulli on crowing for over a month at least.
It took him about 2 weeks to go from that one raspy note that first morning to being full voiced.
There are 3 RIR'a and a couple other girls in the pen and some but not all make that sound like a growl.
Oreo's first raspy note was the last note of the crow. Not sure if they all do it this way but he definitely learned his from last note to first in that order. It was too cool.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom