Who else is waiting for that first egg?

My barred rock is 18 weeks old and I'm on eggwatch daily. Her face/comb/wattle are much redder than her sisters (buff Orpington, easter egger, black Australorp, red star). So hopefully we'll have eggs soon!
1f62e.png

how old were your red sex links when they laid?

I'm really thinking that I should have gotten red sex-links... we were thinking and I believe we had red sex-links when we lived in San Jose, years ago.... and pretty sure they started laying well before 23 weeks...4 of mine are 23 weeks and the other 10 are 20 weeks....I still have one of the 20 week old that doesn't even have any growth or red in her comb, waddles.... how on earth is that possible?

I'm really thinking that I should have gotten red sex-links... we were thinking and I believe we had red sex-links when we lived in San Jose, years ago.... and pretty sure they started laying well before 23 weeks...4 of mine are 23 weeks and the other 10 are 20 weeks....I still have one of the 20 week old that doesn't even have any growth or red in her comb, waddles.... how on earth is that possible?

i just got 2 red sex links last weekend and they are about 11-12 weeks. im really curious when they will lay as they are much bigger then my silkieXpolish girls who are about 24-25 weeks! only getting one egg a day from nugget my silkieXpolish pullet and the eggs are on the very small size weighing 38grams or 1oz amd 10gram... i cant wait for more eggs!the wait is excrutiating! lol!

i just got 2 red sex links last weekend and they are about 11-12 weeks. im really curious when they will lay as they are much bigger then my silkieXpolish girls who are about 24-25 weeks! only getting one egg a day from nugget my silkieXpolish pullet and the eggs are on the very small size weighing 38grams or 1oz amd 10gram... i cant wait for more eggs!the wait is excrutiating! lol!

My first Red laid at 17 weeks, the next 2 started on the 18th week, and all 8 were laying by the 20th week.

how old were your red sex links when they laid?
I think they were 22 weeks. One of the three is still not laying....I have four chickens, but I get three eggs a day.

Although she may be laying sporadically, just to keep me confused .....I have gotten a couple of eggs that were speckled like bird eggs.
hmm.png

She was injured when she was younger....something got into my yard and killed one chicken and ripped feathers off of her. Maybe it affected her ability to lay, I don't know.

Lucky for her I don't require production to stay around.

My Reds didn't start laying until about 22 weeks, and only a couple of weeks before my Buff Orpington started laying. Someone here said his started at 14 weeks, but I think that is very unusual. My Buff has never gotten the really red cheeks or a very red comb, but I figured it's just her coloring....her legs are pink, too.

Back
Top Bottom