Who else is waiting for that first egg?

Congratulations! They're beautiful
1f414.png

My two barred rocks, one buff orpington, one EE, and one gold sexlink are 20 weeks old as of yesterday. I am on pins and needles! Can anyone tell me if it's normal that none of them have apparently even gone into the nest boxes to check them out yet? They freerange in our back yard all day, and I'm betting they might lay the first egg or two in the bushes somewhere!

I am a newbie, but I just got my first eggs last night from the tractor with 28/29 week old Barred rocks, and ee/buff crosses, my 24 week RIR are still eggless here in MO

My two barred rocks, one buff orpington, one EE, and one gold sexlink are 20 weeks old as of yesterday. I am on pins and needles! Can anyone tell me if it's normal that none of them have apparently even gone into the nest boxes to check them out yet? They freerange in our back yard all day, and I'm betting they might lay the first egg or two in the bushes somewhere!

How early do you let them out every day? Once they start squatting, and checking out the nest boxes, could you keep them locked for a while in the morning (maybe 9:00ish?), till they start getting used to laying in the boxes.

I am a newbie, but I just got my first eggs last night from the tractor with 28/29 week old Barred rocks, and ee/buff crosses, my 24 week RIR are still eggless here in MO

I'm still waiting for a group of Lavender Orpingtons to start too. They are 24 weeks also. I hope its not another 4-5 weeks!

I don't know about letting them out because while I open the coop by five in the morning they only free range in the evenings when I am home.

I don't know about letting them out because while I open the coop by five in the morning they only free range in the evenings when I am home.

My reply about letting them out was to aweaver, so their hens would get used to laying in the nest box.
I'm like you, mine only free range in the evenings, but aweaver said theirs free range all day.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom