Who else is waiting for that first egg?

How old are your girls? I have two barred rocks that are 17 and 2 days and i think they will lay in the spring also.

Adaline

Chica

I got my 2nd egg today, it was laid in the same place the other one was, on the floor in the hen house in the corner... I'm hoping for a few more, really soon.... Rae

The first eggs we got were either out in the run or on the coop floor. Once the first layers learned to use the nests, each new layer that followed started out using the nests and never laid on the floor or outside. Did they learn by watching the other chickens?

OMG.

all same age...the Brown Leghorn has been laying for weeks..perfect white pullet eggs with orange yolk!

A few days ago...finally...the Australorp started laying... gorgeous brown.

And then after 3 days...The Cochin was foolin in the nest box...we know how that can go on for weeks...argh.

Dang if she didn't lay a gorgeous brown speckeled egg right then!!! She wasn't even that red in the face, but I saw her shenanigans with the rooster! I knew it was coming at some point.

Happy Happy Happy.

Old hens are moulting...no eggs. These three survived a fox attack (electric fence every pen now) so happy!

The first eggs we got were either out in the run or on the coop floor.  Once the first layers learned to use the nests, each new layer that followed started out using the nests and never laid on the floor or outside.  Did they learn by watching the other chickens?

I'm sure hoping they learn fast because that will be a lot of eggs on the floor...lol But I think you're right, they learn from watching each other...
Rae

Hi, I now have all 6 chickens laying big brown eggs but not in each box all the time sometimes 3 eggs in one box then 5 in separate nest boxes.

I put golf balls in each box hoping the will get the hint.. What fun they are to watch them run around the yard. They see me and come running, me= treats...

That's great yes I love when they stampede towards me. And I love watching them doing chicken things for instance my self blue oegb, Crocket, is amazing at catching grass hoppers. Once she has got one she runs around excitedly squawking but then she whacks it against the ground until its good and dead and she's broken all the legs off. The she eats it. :)

Well I think I have 2 chickens laying now because there were 2 eggs today (on the floor) but one is a little darker brown... I have a question, when storing the eggs do you put the big end up or the smaller end up? The hens were so happy to see me today..

Back
Top Bottom