Who has tame ducks?

Cheetahlover

In the Brooder
May 13, 2015
I myself have raised a Khaki Campbell and a Cayuga (at different times) to come up with very tame pets. I was wondering what experiences others have had with tame ducks. What breed were or are they? How were they handled when they were raised? To what extent are they willing to be touched?

I'm also curious about some specific breeds, Call Ducks and Welsh Harlequins. If anyone has had those breeds really tamed, I'd like to hear it!

So basically, I'd like to hear anything and everything about ducks that follow humans around, like to be petted, do tricks, or whatever! :)

I myself have raised a Khaki Campbell and a Cayuga (at different times) to come up with very tame pets. I was wondering what experiences others have had with tame ducks. What breed were or are they? How were they handled when they were raised? To what extent are they willing to be touched?

I'm also curious about some specific breeds, Call Ducks and Welsh Harlequins. If anyone has had those breeds really tamed, I'd like to hear it!

So basically, I'd like to hear anything and everything about ducks that follow humans around, like to be petted, do tricks, or whatever!
smile.png
My Muscovy drake was raised by myself and my dh since his mama rejected him at hatch. He was in the house till 10 weeks old then we went and got him 3 females to grow up with. When He was inside with us I had a large towel that I kept over my shoulder and when I sat down Opie would crawl under the towel like he would crawl under his mamas feathers. At night before we turned out the lights I would put down thick towels on the bed and he would get in bed with us and snuggle. He slept in a large dog crate in our room. He was with us every minute of those 10 weeks we spent alot of time outside so he could be around all the rest of the flock but my dh and I have always been his mom and dad. He doesn't mind being picked up and smooched on and hugged he even comes in the house and visits.Opie will be 5 yrs old on June the 2nd but he is as friendly now as he was when he was a baby. I am so grateful I have had this opportunity to have a relationship with him he is really more like one of our dogs although he loves his girls too.

Last edited:
Any other tame ducks out there?
That's amazing! I too am looking into doing something like this to get an emotional support animal. If anybody else has good information like this id love to hear it

There are a number of support ducks out there. I think DenverDucky is one, I wish I could recall names better.
roll.png

But the Indoor Ducks thread has several keepers of very friendly ducks.

We have a flock of eleven Runners, plus a few adopted other breeds. The Runners were hand-raised, but in a big group. They are very friendly, and a few like to be hugged, but no one likes to be picked up.

I am impressed with how much they interact with us.

Oh, ya want a tame duck? I GOT yer tame ducks! I has the cuddliest, sweetest, most attention-craving duckies ever. My Wobbles is a snuggle bug. <3

0.jpg

0.jpg

Wobbles will also "reach" out for kisses :3

0.jpg

My first muscovy Ellie. Very sweet, loved to be held and pet. When she was very little I would hold her under my shirt, or a under a towel close to me and babble at her. She would nibble fingers, toes, clothing and hair. I didn't know what she was doing at the time but she would spread out flat for me.....that was a bit odd.
hu.gif
We had no drakes at the time. She had this way of putting her head right up under my ear against my neck. She loved towel time, when I spread out a towel on the grass reading and hanging out with her. I really miss her. She was by far my hardest loss. Great horned owl, she was broody on her first nest. It was out of the night pen right up against the house. I let her keep it there, and she got off in the night. It was a very hard lesson.
edited to add water photo

Last edited:

My first muscovy Ellie. Very sweet, loved to be held and pet. When she was very little I would hold her under my shirt, or a under a towel close to me and babble at her. She would nibble fingers, toes, clothing and hair. I didn't know what she was doing at the time but she would spread out flat for me.....that was a bit odd.
hu.gif
We had no drakes at the time. She had this way of putting her head right up under my ear against my neck. She loved towel time, when I spread out a towel on the grass reading and hanging out with her. I really miss her. She was by far my hardest loss. Great horned owl, she was broody on her first nest. It was out of the night pen right up against the house. I let her keep it there, and she got off in the night. It was a very hard lesson.
She was gorgeous, so sorry you lost her.

My crew don't like to be handled but they certainly respond to me. I slide open the kitchen door and they start chattering. They come running into the mud room when I get breakfast/dinner ready. They graze around us in the summer when we sit outside. They love routine so it's easy to train them. And there's nothing cuter than when they catch your eye and look at you. So for me the companionship is there but there is a healthy distance. Another benefit for me is I just like watching them. Eating, swimming, sleeping, flapping, foraging. It's very meditative.

So basically, I'd like to hear anything and everything about ducks that follow humans around, like to be petted, do tricks, or whatever!
smile.png
My Indian Runner ducks are tame. I hatched them out and they imprinted on me. I taught them to come when they are called and stay when told to. They just picked up when they were ducklings when I would call their names and then make them stay in place.

Back
Top Bottom