Who Here Does Fermentation Feeding?

So I have 12 pullets, about 19 weeks old. Not laying yet.

I soak 700 grams of Scratch and Peck whole grain feed. I noticed if I put it all out in the AM then after they get there breakfast the leftover sit for a while. So I started to feed them half in the AM and half in the early PM. But then if I throw in some dry food in the evening they still seem super hungry.

Wondering if I should up their fermented feed amount?

When you switch between dry feed and fermented feed do you use the same amount?

I started at 670 grams and then switched to 700 just for a round number to weigh. But divinding out 3 portions of food every day is going to be too much… Or can I just put out all their feed in the AM and they’ll be fine?

I soak 700 grams of Scratch and Peck whole grain feed. I noticed if I put it all out in the AM then after they get there breakfast the leftover sit for a while. So I started to feed them half in the AM and half in the early PM. But then if I throw in some dry food in the evening they still seem super hungry.

I started at 670 grams and then switched to 700 just for a round number to weigh. But divinding out 3 portions of food every day is going to be too much… Or can I just put out all their feed in the AM and they’ll be fine?
I think I understand your question.

Fermented feed is going to fill a chicken up much faster because of the water it has absorbed. The general rule of thumb I have heard is 30%. 30% less feed needed, less cost, etc. But - the problem you are experiencing is what we experienced, and almost had a catastrophic event - which is why we have free choice whole grain feed, and supplement with fermented food a few times a week (see above)

Right when you remove the fermented food from the water, the time is ticking. It can very easily begin to mold - within 24 hours if the conditions are correct. Then you have a sick flock.

We have 50 hens, and 5 feeding "bowls" and then free choice while grain feed - and we bring fermented food in the afternoon and load up the feeding bowls with as much as they are going to eat in about 10 to 15 minutes, and they clear the bowls. They then supplement whatever more feed they need with the free choice for the day.

This method will still give you the benefits of fermentation, without the hassle of having to fernent EVERYDAY, waste fermented food they don't eat, or worry about them eating some moldy leftovers.

Dousing the guts constantly with the probiotics can also lessen their effectiveness. Boosting them every few days keeps their bacteria stronger, in my opinion.

My girls get fermented feed every day. They get roughly half their feed as fermented as I want them to finish it off each day plus they free range/forage each day and get the rest as pellets from a feeder.

I ferment for two days, which allows for an easy rotation between my two containers. When there are serious freezes in winter, I only give them half as much fermented feed as it will freeze before they can finish it off.

Starting fermented feed is easy. It takes 3-4 days to start as the yeast is literally floating around in the air and needs to settle into the wet feed and start reproducing. Once you get a proper batch started, then just keep a little as a seed for the next batch.

I use the procedure from this Fermented Feed FAQ, though I've increased water to 1.25-1.5 times the feed (depending on feed brand).

Hey everyone,
I wanted to see who ferments their feed and if so, at what age you started your chicks on it. I have 1 1/2 week old chicks and I soak their feed overnight but, haven't fermented it yet. Is it something you do all year long or do you only do it a few times a year? Thanks!
I have up till now only given my older hens fermented feed as I haven't been doing it that long. I always keep a tub of fermenting grain on the go. When I have fed it to them I start another off so it works out I give it every three days as it takes that long to ferment. I give it all year round and my hens have been much healthier since doing it. They also get through less feed and there isn't any wastage as they go mad when I give it.

I started fermenting starter feed as soon as I got my chicks from the hatchery. It cleared up the pasty butt on my bantams post-haste!
Out of all 14 of my chicks none ever got pasty butt. I'm wondering if that is because I soaked their feed. Maybe it's the extra water they get from soaked feed.

I ferment when we are low on money or when it is too cold to leave the coop, they absolutely love it. They devour it very very quickly, I’ve never given it to chicks but I’ve been thinking about it
All my chicks did fine with it. The only thing I did different when they were younger is that I blended it in a food processor to make the mix more of a crumble for them.

I give them enough of the feed to fill their food bowl in the early am. Later in the morning when I can get them out, I let them free range for a few hours. I feed them again in the afternoon and throw in broccoli too because they love it. I give them a can of sardines 1-2x a week with the afternoon feed. At night, I stopped leaving food out since they turned 6 weeks old. Tomorrow they're 7 weeks and they have been fine with the adjustment. You can tell when there annoyed and still sound hungry. I only do soaked or fermented feed. I do none dry. I might start giving them unsealed sunflower seeds now that they're bigger. I wouldn't put it all out in the am because they most likely will knock it out, unless you have a better feeder than me lol. I need a new one.

Back
Top Bottom