WHO IS EXPECTING APRIL CHICKS?????

This is a picture of some of the chicks I hatched. The hen was a red sexlink and the rooster was a barred rock. Most of the chicks have black stripes down their back. The others ones are solid yellow. The striped one in the picture is Peppy.I should of taken the picture after I cleaned their bedding instead of before.

Last edited:
13 chicks have hatched so far! I think that will be it. My three week old pullets are flying already! Darn chicks. I'm going to have to make my brooder pen walls higher.
I caught one of mine roosting on the edge of the brooder bin a few days ago (they're just two weeks old today!) Just put a wire screen across the top. I used hardware cloth because I had gotten some for another project anyway.

- - - - - - - - - - --
My babies have learned that meal worms ARE food. They wont take them from my hand yet, and really don't go as crazy abut them as advertised, but they do seem to like them. Someday I'll find that treat that they find absolutely irresistible and will love and adore me for bringing it.

Oh, and they have finally learned that they are supposed to go inside of the MHP 'cave' instead of sleeping on top of it.
clap.gif

Last edited:
This is a picture of some of the chicks I hatched. The hen was a red sexlink and the rooster was a barred rock. Most of the chicks have black stripes down their back. The others ones are solid yellow. The striped one in the picture is Peppy.I should of taken the picture after I cleaned their bedding instead of before.
They are adorable!
1f423.png

I caught one of mine roosting on the edge of the brooder bin a few days ago (they're just two weeks old today!) Just put a wire screen across the top. I used hardware cloth because I had gotten some for another project anyway.

- - - - - - - - - - -- 
My babies have learned that meal worms ARE food. They wont take them from my hand yet, and really don't go as crazy abut them as advertised, but they do seem to like them. Someday I'll find that treat that they find absolutely irresistible and will love and adore me for bringing it.

Oh, and they have finally learned that they are supposed to go inside of the MHP 'cave' instead of sleeping on top of it. :clap

I'm getting the setup w the MHP ready and hoping it works for me. Can't wait to try it out.
1f423.png

I'm getting the setup w the MHP ready and hoping it works for me. Can't wait to try it out.
1f423.png
Trust me, it is SO much better than the heat lamp method. I changed over after coming home to find the lamp had fallen into the box. The garage was full of smoke and that an entire corner of the cardboard box that they were in was reduced to smoldering ash!
ep.gif
Fortunately for everyone nothing had caught fire, and the chicks were all fine (no MacNuggets). It also let me connect an LED light (red, of course) to an appliance timer so now they can enjoy a regular day/night cycle instead of having that hot globe shining on them 24/7. Of course if yours are outdoors that's moot.

You might want to gently herd them inside periodically so they will get the idea, as they might prefer sitting on top of the pad at first (scared of unknown dark places?
hide.gif
). Also put a folded towel on top of it. Partly to make the inside more comfy and preferable to sleep in and partly to keep the heating pad cleaner; it's a lot easier to wash the towel. Which is going to get dirty regardless of whether of not you cover it with bedding.

Last edited:
Thanks for the support, FlyWheel! Must have been scary to see that heat lamp inside your brooder!!!
Last time I brooded chicks, the cord of the heat lamp was extremely hot by the end of brooding time (4 weeks of continued use) and I really felt it could have started a fire if I kept that heat lamp plugged.
So when I found the MHP thread I knew I had to try it. I hope I'm doing everything right.

Today is supposed to be my ship day from MPC and its my first time ordering from them. I didn't get any rare breeds. It's 1:45pm EST and I haven't heard anything from them, or received any emails w/shipping confirmation. Is this normal? What have been others experiences?

Today is supposed to be my ship day from MPC and its my first time ordering from them. I didn't get any rare breeds. It's 1:45pm EST and I haven't heard anything from them, or received any emails w/shipping confirmation. Is this normal? What have been others experiences?  

I know MPC hatches at Meyers so I wouldn't worry. You might call at 3 eastern time which I believe is around actual hatch/ship time for them to get your tracking number. Do NOT put any faith in your tracking. A example is my chick's were hatched and shipped same place yours will be day before yesterday. I was really worried because of the long trip from ohio to California. On hatch day tracking said my chick's went to the Cleveland shipping hub I had no more tracking for 24 hours
I get a call that afternoon my chick's were here! ALL HEALTHY THANK GOD. I'm sure yours will be too. They take special care to ship with heat pack on time. Your chicks will be here in no time :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom