WHO IS EXPECTING APRIL CHICKS?????

realsis

Crazy for Silkies
11 Years
Jan 17, 2013
California
Hi friends, I was wondering who will be expecting chicks in April?? My chicks in ordered in January are due to hatch/ship in 12 days!! I'm going to have to work on the brooder really soon!! I'm so excited. it's been such a long wait for me! My final Tally ended up being 7 Female Barred Rocks, 1 Silver Penciled Rock Female, 1 Golden Cuckoo Maran Female, and one Female "Suprise" breed. For Those who would, please say a little prayer my chicks arrive alive and healthy from their long journey. :)

Chick # 1 (Chickeny Junior, aka CJ):

Chick # 2 (not currently named):

Chick # 3 (possibly named Cleopatra, Cleo for short):

Chick # 4 (named Rosa):

All Together

Last edited:
I'm hoping to get a small flock of Americanas and a Marans this weekend (maybe Friday). All pullets.

How fun! post some pics after you get them!! what type of Maran are you getting? I got one Golden cuckoo Maran. I've read the breed develops a bit slower than most. where are you getting your chicks from? can't wait to see them! :)

I had just put the roof on the expanded coop, so I thought I would give Carolina Fresh Farms a call to see when they might be expecting the delivery as I wanted to get a jump on the competition (they get their chicks from Mt. Healthy Hatcheries). Well they arrived early, they were already there! So I guess they don't quite qualify as April chicks. By the time I got there they were already sold out of Cuckoo Marans (within minutes)! :( So I got 7 Americanas instead of my planned 5-6. They are all vaccinated, and seem healthy. I chose the most active, alert and least flighty (most friendly) looking ones I could. Two of them actually jogged over and jumped into my hand (seriously, I thought that was an exaggeration)! Since they were all vigorously eating I figure they are at least 3-4 days out of the shell (the yolk sack is supposed to sustain them for three, right?) Which means they really are "Easter" Eggers. I also got a heat lamp and a red bulb, some sweet PDZ fortified brooder straw and some grow crumbles. Please pardon the weird coloring, that's my photo program's attempt at correcting for the red light. I think I have this set up right. I put my bike computer in the brood box as it has a temperature gauge built in. I'm trying to set the lamp so the temperature stabilizes at 89F. Correct temperature for the first week I believe is supposed to be between 90-95, and they seem happy at 89, at least they are spread and active, and not all bunched together in one corner. One question, do chicks need grit if they are on grow crumbles? They didn't have any set out for them at the store.
yes but a bit later on buy them what's called chick grit. if they get any treats they definitely need grit! oh your babies are beautiful!!♡♡♡♡ soooo precious!!!! I just pray mine come alive and healthy!! mine ship April 11. so not this Monday but the next!!! FINALLY.. I ordered in January. :)

Mine ship april 4th tommorow. 11chicks 10- blue orpintons 1-jubelee orpington so i have a large $$ amount invested as these are very expensive an rare! Cant wait. These will be my birthday blues.

Mine arrived last night! And of course we are having super unseasonably cold weather right now (-25 C overnight) Not the greatest to bring home some new chicks.... It's our first foray into having chickens and I have to say, they are so darn cute!
I have 16 Bielefelders. 12 girls and 4 boys. 

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom