WHO IS EXPECTING APRIL CHICKS?????

Good luck! I'm getting new chicks at the end of April at rural king. I would love to have a maran I've heard they lay chocolate colored eggs!

I almost had a disaster today!  :eek:

I got home from a bike ride and found that the heat lamp, which I had clamped on the side of the brooder box had fallen INTO the box (actually, the flap, which I thought I had securely fastened had broken free and folded in) and an entire corner of the box was burnt to char and ash! By the grace of whatever supernatural omnipotent beings there may be, none of the chicks had been killed or injured. In fact despite their adventure they all seem to be perfectly healthy. The garage was filled with a haze from the smoldering box and bedding, but fortunately (again!) nothing had caught fire! I found an old Rubbermaid tub which, although it had a couple of small holes in the bottom corners was otherwise alright. I filled it with some more bedding and transferred the chicks, their food tray and water dish into it and so far everyone is happy again. 

Needless to say that is the LAST time I ever use a cardboard box for anything regarding chickens beyond bringing them home!!

And I'm going to have to get a new bulb though because the trapped heat had 'burned' all of the red off of the old one.
:th

How awful! That is one of the biggest reasons why I decided to do the Mama Heating Pad instead of the heat lamp. DH and I are gone for 11+ hours four days a week.
My little ones came home last weekend and so far are doing well even through a little bout of Coccidiosis. It was a very fast learning experience! My three year old couldn't be happier!

How awful! That is one of the biggest reasons why I decided to do the Mama Heating Pad instead of the heat lamp. DH and I are gone for 11+ hours four days a week.
My little ones came home last weekend and so far are doing well even through a little bout of Coccidiosis. It was a very fast learning experience! My three year old couldn't be happier!
I have a question about those pads, are they thermostaticaly regulated (in English: can you set the temperature)? How big are they?
And what exactly is a DH?
hide.gif

I have a question about those pads, are they thermostaticaly regulated (in English: can you set the temperature)? How big are they?
And what exactly is a DH? :oops:

you CAN buy the pads that have a thermostat. I have one for germinating seeds that goes to 100degrees.my tortoises are using it now. I WAS going to use it for chicks but when I checked it mine just didn't feel like the temperature it was registering. I went ahead and broke down and got a Brinsea Ecoglow 20 radiant heat brooder. I've wanted one for Years but the price put me off. I found the 20 chick brooder for 10% off online at Wayfair so I went ahead and got it. it's supposed to be cheaper to run than the lamp so I hope it works out... DH means Dear Husband I think??

And what exactly is a DH? :oops:

The Sunbeam ones that are used the most (because they have an "always on" feature) have six levels of heat. Since the principle is based off contact heat instead of radiant heat, you don't have to measure the exact temperature. You instead base the level on the behavior of the chicks. If they are all sleeping on top of it instead of under it, probably too hot so turn it down. Level 6 is rarely needed except when ambient temps are near freezing such as when you're brooding outside in the winter.

I'm getting 15 ornamental layers from MMcM the week of April 11. I'm counting the days! FlyWheel, you might want to check the "mama heating pad in the brooder" thread. I'm going to use this method for the first time and got a lot of useful info there.

I'm getting 15 ornamental layers from MMcM the week of April 11. I'm counting the days! FlyWheel, you might want to check the "mama heating pad in the brooder" thread. I'm going to use this method for the first time and got a lot of useful info there.

Wow mine hatch and ship out on April 11th too!!! When did you order yours? I ordered mine back in January! Talk about a long wait!I choose a April hatch in hopes of better weather as well as a only 3 chick minimum. I did however order 10 chicks. how about you?what Breeds did you get? I got one female "Suprise Breed", Seven Female Barred Rocks, One Female Golden Cuckoo Maran, and One Female Silver Penciled Rock. Please say a little prayer for my Chicks Healthy and alive arrival from their long trip and I will say a prayer for the same for yours!let's post pictures when they arrive! I'm so excited! ♡♡

Wow mine hatch and ship out on April 11th too!!! When did you order yours? I ordered mine back in January! Talk about a long wait!I choose a April hatch in hopes of better weather as well as a only 3 chick minimum. I did however order 10 chicks. how about you?what Breeds did you get? I got one female "Suprise Breed", Seven Female Barred Rocks, One Female Golden Cuckoo Maran, and One Female Silver Penciled Rock. Please say a little prayer for my Chicks Healthy and alive arrival from their long trip and I will say a prayer for the same for yours!let's post pictures when they arrive! I'm so excited! ♡♡
I'm getting mine the 27 I think. We chose also to get them in April because the weather because two years ago we got them in March it was so cold and snowy we had to keep them in the house until the middle of April

Back
Top Bottom