WHO IS EXPECTING APRIL CHICKS?????

Question - my chicks are super skittish. I've had them for a few days now, but if anything they seem more flighty than the day they arrived.
Anything I can do to kind of encourage them to come to me more? They hide in the corner of the brooder when I open the lid and cheep really loudly...
Or is this just normal chick behaviour lol I'm new to all this! TIA

Question - my chicks are super skittish. I've had them for a few days now, but if anything they seem more flighty than the day they arrived.
Anything I can do to kind of encourage them to come to me more? They hide in the corner of the brooder when I open the lid and cheep really loudly...
Or is this just normal chick behaviour lol I'm new to all this! TIA

Normal. It is easier if you have a brooder that opens from the side--that way you and your hand don't look like a predator bearing down on them from above. My chicks really start taming up once they realize that I am the food-giver...unfortunately it seems to take a few weeks to happen.

i have the same problem. when i want to handle one i try to ease my hand down against one wall so i can approach at their level but they all run around screaming when i reach in to clean/ fill their food/water. this batch seems to like my hand though and will get under it if they are chilly. i suspect that i will be working in the yard with babies between my feet again this year!

Has anybody had their chicks arrive at their post office in the afternoon? My chicks still haven't arrived, my overnight delivery tracking has not updated and I had to cancel my plans for the afternoon. Extremely frustrating.

my post office said they can come in around 1pm with the second truck. i live in nh. fortunately mine came in this morning on the early truck. so they can come in in the afternoon as well. I pray they come in safely for you and soon

It seems chicks come in the morning in my area. Hoping for everyone's chicks to arrive safely
fl.gif

x2 on looking like a predator when reaching for chicks from above. Also, I remember my chicks hated to be picked up to be handled, but were much friendlier when my hand was at floor level with mashed cooked eggs as treats. Of course, I gave them occasional treats after they were used to the chick food and the treat was mainly cooked eggs (no shell) b/c they didn't require me to add grit. My hens are very friendly and always follow humans around. They allow me to pet them, but will complain if I have to pick them up. I've read posts where people have success at taming by handling the chicks. It never happened to me, though.

my new baby chicks i just got today from ideal. they sure do make a mess for only being here for a few hours. but they are thriving and are soooo cute. if anyone has any ideas as to which breed is what. i got barnvelders, white cohins, golden wyandottes and 10 silkies. the second pic is of a gray silkie. will he or she be black or splash or blue, also one of her little toes is bent sideways any idea what i can do if any

Back
Top Bottom