WHO IS EXPECTING APRIL CHICKS?????

I was suppose to get 200 chicks from the hatchery today, but they called yesterday and said they didn't have a good hatch and had to put my order back a week. Very disappointing!

Oh I'm so sorry! I can imagine your disappointment! What date next week are they coming? Did they say? So are they going to hatch a second time and give you those or are they going to hold some back and mix both hatches?

My order from McMurray arrived today. Got a call from the post office at 8:10 and immediately headed that way. To my suprise, all 32 were alive and looked very well. They shipped Tuesday. Got them home and mixed sugar and nutri drench in warm water and dipped each ones beak in it as they went in the brooder. Spread out chick starter and watched them for about 20 minutes. They all ate and drank. Some even started driving from the poultry nipples. I ordered 32 and got one extra RIR rooster for a total of 33.

I am surprised they all made it, I can't wait to check on them after work. If they make it through the day (and they look good, healthy and active) then I think they will all be home free.

Last edited:
Oh I'm so sorry! I can imagine your disappointment! What date next week are they coming? Did they say? So are they going to hatch a second time and give you those or are they going to hold some back and mix both hatches?

They can't ship them after the first day or two because of the need to feed and water them

the second pic is of a gray silkie. will he or she be black or splash or blue, also one of her little toes is bent sideways any idea what i can do if any
If its toe is still bent, do you want to post a pic of its feet? Maybe someone here can help you. Also, send a pic to the emergencies thread. The folks there will be able to help you for sure.

my new baby chicks i just got today from ideal. they sure do make a mess for only being here for a few hours. but they are thriving and are soooo cute. if anyone has any ideas as to which breed is what. i got barnvelders, white cohins, golden wyandottes and 10 silkies. the second pic is of a gray silkie. will he or she be black or splash or blue, also one of her little toes is bent sideways any idea what i can do if any
Well, the silkies will have black skin and five toes. The cochin will be pale yellow, have feathered legs, but four toes. Not sure about the other breeds. Do a search for "crooked toe" and you should find some answers. I think you can splint it with a bandaid.

here is a pic of the bent toe. it doesn't seem to bother her but i just got her today and im not sure if it will interfere in her walking later. when she walks all the others are normal but that one stays bent to the side. any help would be appreciated.

[quote
here is a pic of the bent toe. it doesn't seem to bother her but i just got her today and im not sure if it will interfere in her walking later. when she walks all the others are normal but that one stays bent to the side. any help would be appreciated. 
[/quote]
Poor thing! You may want to make a sandal out of very light cardboard the length of the toes. Fix it in place using a self adherent bandage like vetrap and leave it in place for 2 days. Avoid using red for obvious reasons. It should heal. Just watch the chick to make sure the sandal doesn't slip and the chick is eating and drinking. I don't have a pic to show you, but you might be able to google it.
This is a general explanation. Let me know if you need extra help. Also, remember the folks at the emergencies thread. There are many knowledgeable people we can all learn a lot from.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom