WHO IS EXPECTING APRIL CHICKS?????

From the local Feed store I ordered 8 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Silkies, and 4 Black Australorps. On Feb 25th my Rhode Island Reds and Silkies came in, but my Australrops didn't come in until March 31st and they ordered me 6 Australorps instead of 4. Those were all Straight Run. Additionally, I ordered 7 Golden Laced Wyandottes (1 male and 6 females) that were shipped on April 4th and arrived on April 6th. I know that 3 of the Rhode Island Reds are Roos and will have to go. I looked at the wings (for wing sexing) of the Australorps and it looks like all of them are girls. The only rooster that I plan on keeping is the Golden Laced Wyandotte so if anyone is close to me and wants a Rhode Island Red rooster let me know. I live in Fallon, NV.
Wing sexing does not work on 99% of breeds. It's not universal, it's a genetic trait that's been bred into some strains of commercial poultry (like leghorns) for easy, 100% accurate sexing. You'll have to wait on the Aussies to sex them

Wing sexing does not work on 99% of breeds. It's not universal, it's a genetic trait that's been bred into some strains of commercial poultry (like leghorns) for easy, 100% accurate sexing. You'll have to wait on the Aussies to sex them 

I wing sexed all of my buff orpingtons and black australorps and it was 100% accurate. But I do understand that this may not work for every breed.

Feather sexing is only valid on specific hybrids and certain strains of a small number of breeds that are bred for the trait. If it were universal there would be no need for vent sexers or sex linked breeds, and bantams could come sexed instead of straight run.

Everything I have read says that Wing Sexing does not work for Bantam breeds and works for most large fowl. It was right when I did it on my Rhode Island Reds. I looked at the wings of my Golden Laced Wyandottes and got 1 male and 6 females- which is what I ordered.

I have read about color sexing being bred into breeds. Where did you read about the wing sexing being bred into some strains? Do you have a link to some data for this? I read everything I can on chickens, but the internet is a vast universe. lol

got 5 Littles yesterday. 2 EE, 2 Brahmas and one SS.

I hatch year round. I have

mottled naked necks and some houdan bielefelder cross chicks in the brooder. Just had seven silver laced Orpington hatch yesterday and have a dozen chocolate Orpington bantams due to hatch may 5th

Back
Top Bottom