WHO IS EXPECTING APRIL CHICKS?????

Ours are coming next week from Meyer and then I have more coming in May. I'm a leghorn lover, so we have two whites, 3 exechequers and my son wanted a barred rock. This is our first time raising chicks. We are putting our brooder together right now.

Praying all of our babies arrive safe and healthy.

Oh my goodness- that is chicken math at its finest!
I'll say. And here I thought getting seven* instead of the five I was intending was "Chicken Math"

*The two extra were for 'attrition'. really!
hide.gif

I picked up my chicks today from a local hatchery/breeder (and BYC member). I was planning to get 18, but I came home with over 30. :oops: Not sure how they all  managed to jump in the box.

OH MY WORD! How does that happen?!

I have 13 chickens, then my hen hatched 4 chicks, (17) and then yesterday we got 15 Cochin bantams so now I have 32 chickens!

Brought home eight new chickies (went in for six) today! Three RIR and five assorted bantams. One of the bantams is about half the size of the others--not sure if she'll make it (recovering from pasty butt I think). I wanted to see if I could help her make it, but I'm preparing emotionally that she will die.

I think her pasty butt issues and general size issue could be overcome, but we've noticed one of her feet is swollen and she avoids putting pressure on it sometimes. Can less than a week old chicks get Bumblefoot? No visible injury but potentially a while dot under the skin; seems to be soft to the touch rather than a hard bit.

Brought home eight new chickies (went in for six) today! Three RIR and five assorted bantams. One of the bantams is about half the size of the others--not sure if she'll make it (recovering from pasty butt I think). I wanted to see if I could help her make it, but I'm preparing emotionally that she will die.

I think her pasty butt issues and general size issue could be overcome, but we've noticed one of her feet is swollen and she avoids putting pressure on it sometimes. Can less than a week old chicks get Bumblefoot? No visible injury but potentially a while dot under the skin; seems to be soft to the touch rather than a hard bit.

Sorry to hear that. It's possible that she nicked her foot on something and it got infected.

Picture

Here are the ones that have hatched so far,4 are hatched by a 10 mo. Silki hen and the white one from the incubator. The yellow one in the center with brown on the head is clean leg and the other 4 are feathered leg. The two on each side of the yellow one are cochin or buff brahma with a cochin rooster. The front white one is a Sultun. The dark one in front stumps me. Feathered black legs and 5 toes, could it be a Silki? I have white Silki hens and a black and white rooster. So now I need to separate the breeds and wait awhile before I try to hatch eggs for the smaller breeds.

DON'T EVEN WORRY! When mine shipped on the 11th I had ONE TRACKING AREA PUT IN THEN NOTHING! AT 20 hours I was worried sick because it was 3pm the day before when the one entry was posted. The next day the 12th in the Afternoon I got the call my chick's arrived!! WITH NO TRACKING INFO. Thank God they were all alive and well! So I'm sure you will get your chicks soon. The tracking isn't at all accurate so no worries, in fact they will likely be in tomorrow morning or afternoon
smile.png
can't wait to see pictures of your babies! Who did you order from? Mine came from Meyer in Ohio to me in California
My chicks' hatch date is tomorrow. I ordered in January from Meyer hatchery and this will be the first time I get chicks shipped from a hatchery. Last year I got my first chicks from a local feed store. Thank you for all your information, Realsis, I fell like reading your posts has made me prepared for no tracking updates. I think I will be less worried now thanks to you sharing your experience, and am hoping my chicks will also make it from Ohio to California in one day, happy and healthy. I also made a list of breeds I wanted but did not order in case there is a problem with the hatch of one of the four breeds I ordered and I need to substitute. The kids and I are so excited and have waited so long for the new babies. Looking forward to blue and chocolate and cream eggs (we currently only have brown egge layers).

Back
Top Bottom