Who is Laying Which Eggs ... Any Easy Methods That You Use ??

Manic J

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 20, 2012
Funkytown USA
Ok so here is the deal. I have 21 laying hens, it is a mixed flock. They have slowed with less hours of light, so I have been eating more and selling fewer eggs. I discovered that some of the hens are prone to laying eggs with the "meat chunks?" in them.

I have looked this up, and know this is harmless, but none the less, it is very unappetizing and I don't want to sell "meat chunky eggs" or get a reputation of producing "egg grossness" among the people who search out and buy from local sources like mine. I worry that stuff like this could in many cases turn people away from fresh local products, and prod them back into the supermarkets for the truly junky eggs and etc.

I'll get off of the soapbox, and back on topic .... sorry.

So do you guys have any easy method of finding which chickens are laying which eggs without spending the whole day "hanging with the girls" or caging them? They range in a huge fenced part pasture part wooded area. The coop is an 8'x16' converted horse stall with no way to cage or separate them. Keep in mind that they are not all laying everyday this time of year, and the "offender or offenders" are probably not laying the "meat chunky eggs" every lay. I have 6 nest boxes available to them, but they only use 3 of them currently. I can rule out 4 of the girls, so that narrows it down to 17 girls that are giving around 12 eggs/day right now.

The "breeds" of the flock are ............

2 - Silky Bantam (ruled out)

2 - Leghorn (ruled out)

5 - Barred Rock (suspected)

6 - Rhode Island Red (suspected)

6 - Golden Comet sex link (suspected)

Last edited:
Trap nesting and/or camping out in the coop are the most effective ways to find out.

BR's tend to lay a pinky tan colored egg. The sex link and the Production red (RIR) could be close in color. Sex links egg color varies by what breeds are used - mine laid a dark egg. My production red (labeled RIR from the hatchery) lays a light brown egg.

Thanks for the laughs and for the input guys ...........
lau.gif

Last edited:
Okay, question here. Chickens are attracted to the color red. If you put red on their vent wont they vent pick???

Don't use red? What about SPARKILY blue? Wow. That would be a sight...!

You'll know which chickens are laying by their appearence. Bright comb & wattles, their feathers may not be perfect (they put their time into egg laying, not preening, even though they do still preen). My RIR lays dark brown eggs, and when I used to have a BR it layed light brown eggs.

Back
Top Bottom