Who is right?

Jul 25, 2021
Central Wisconsin
So hubby has his mind set on using a greenhouse as the chicken run. Like one of those long tunnel greenhouses. I keep telling him no. I'd prefer the traditional outdoor dog kennel run. The run I have in question is only $400 and has a roof that is 10' wide 20' long and almost 7 tall. What he wants is 12 ft by 60 ft but it is at $550 and is on an auction site that still has 3 and 1/2 days left. He's so set on it because he thinks that it'll be good for them especially in the winter but I told him in the summer it'll be too hot and he was like I'll just roll up the sides. And keep the chickens in he would have to put fencing on the sides anyways. I think my idea is better and it's cheaper. We only have 22 chickens and six ducks.

***update***
we went with my idea. his was too big for the yard because the coop is not moveable. The coop itself is 12x20. they would have enough room. plus the run is more for when we are gone for long periods otherwise they roam around. Sucks we cant delete posts.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210814-111640.png
    Screenshot_20210814-111640.png
    674 KB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot_20210814-112454.png
    Screenshot_20210814-112454.png
    1 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Always go as big as you can, bigger than you think you need.

Cattle panels, approx 16ft long, 4ft wide, might make a good "skin" on the outside of that green house building followed by hardware cloth.

Whichever way you go predator protection can't be over-emphasized. Be extremely paranoid. Predators have 24hrs a day to figure out how they're going to break in.

the coop they have is 12 by 20. they are mostly free range ( we have a large fenced in yard to keep them from venturing too far because of coyotes) the run would be for when we are not home for extended periods of time. he eventually agreed with me for my idea because we measured the distance and his idea would be too close to the house and the coop cannot be moved as it is a renovated shed.

Always go as big as you can, bigger than you think you need.

Cattle panels, approx 16ft long, 4ft wide, might make a good "skin" on the outside of that green house building followed by hardware cloth.

Whichever way you go predator protection can't be over-emphasized. Be extremely paranoid. Predators have 24hrs a day to figure out how they're going to break in.
yes. we have lost multiple chickens to coyotes hence the reason for wanting a run. we currently only have a poorly fenced yard. the chickens leave and coop up on their own and they usually come out before we wake up and have gotten snatched that way. the run will be to prevent that while still giving them a little freedom. I also purchased blinking motion detection alarms for coyotes that are coming in the mail with the kennel run.

Back
Top Bottom